1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even if you don't like hockey, this is one amazing historic video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 4, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Given that Toe Blake and the Rocket are on the team and Bill Durnan was the goalie, this was shot somewhere between 1944 and 1947 which was Toe Blake's last year as a player.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The Roman numerals on the copyright translate to 1947. Great video.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know Toe Blake?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks I looked for them but couldn't find them. Bad eyesight. Comes with age.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just discovered that this is the first of a series, called "Eyes on the Prize"

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2010/9/6/1672163/eyes-on-a-dynasty-day-1-iced

Prior to the first televised hockey games and with Hockey Night In Canada a pipe dream at this point, the movie theatres were where many people first saw moving footage of hockey being played.

As youths, several stars at the time, such as Maurice Richard, claimed they never witnessed a live Canadiens game until they played in one. Only a decade later, players such as Jean Beliveau and Jacques Plante would tell that their first experiences in becoming Canadiens fans came over the radio, listening to the exploits of the Rocket and crew.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Piss on Toe Blake!

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

There's a good breakdown of that video linked on the YouTube page, which said it was released in 1948.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2010/9/6/1672163/eyes-on-a-dynasty-day-1-iced

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Loved the casual sexism and racism at the beginning of the newsreel.

9. Simon

Simon Active Member

I'm calling hockey "Iced Lightning" from now on.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

And its players "ice cutters"

Not sure what to call the tomboys who play though.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did you see the slash at 8:30 of this?

And part of the board will have expected more since Grantland Rice's name is associated with it. :)

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, that is really cool. JR had trouble dating it because he had retired from hockey a good decade before this came out! :)

One thing that jumped out at me was the all-black Legion team. If hockey still has a rep as a lily-white sport I can only imagine what the reaction was to an all-black team in those days.

Draft saved Draft deleted