1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evel Knievel makes his last jump

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OTD, Nov 30, 2007.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

Christmas 75 was the Rawlings No. 32 Benny Malone jersey from the Sears catalog.
    Remember that one Simon?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Benny Malone...

It was Jake Scott for me.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jim hart

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wasn't the Snake River jump on closed circuit? I seem to remember seeing ads in the paper for a showing at Maple Leaf Gardens. That's unthinkable today.

I recall reading a story on Caesars Palace and it mentioned that if you're ever there look up at the fountains and imagine that Evel Knievel tried to jump over those things. The first time I went there I did just that....

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Isn't it a weird coincidence that Evel Knievel and Kanye West settled their lawsuit and then Evel dies?

Just thinking...

6. joe

joe Active Member

Oh, man, I had that, too. Thing didn't jump for shit, kinda like Evel his own self.

7. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Sure was. Seems like that jump was among the first PPV's, although in a different format. It kind of set the way we all viewed a lot of non-network big events for the next 10 years. Wrestlemania II was the last closed-circuit event I can remember.

At the risk of sounding redundant, I echo all the 1970s icon worship of the man. Somehow I got to hang out with the guy in his motor home for a half-hour a few years ago and interview him. By far the most interesting interview I ever did.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

And now, I guess that Shelly Saltman is suing Knievel's estate to get the money that was awarded after Evel went batty.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Little-known fact: The Snake River rocket resides (or did the last time I was there, which was eight years ago or so) in Cruiser's bar in Sedalia, Mo., crumpled nose and all. Apparently the bar owner and Evel were friends somehow. And that thing is seriously much smaller than you can believe.
    That said, unless you like country line dancing to shitting pop music, it ain't worth a trip there to see it.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

History Channel is showing "Absolute Evel: The Evel Knievel Story" right now. It is pretty crazy watching those old Wide World of Sports clips, Frank Gifford wearing the bright yellow blazer.

RIP, Evel. Many memories from my youth, watching you on Wide World of Sports.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

It was on closed circuit, and was in theaters. That really isn't much different as a business model than pay-per-view other than the fact that pay-per-view directly to your cable of satellite is technologically feasible.

I got a kick out of the Cheap Seats show on Evel Knievel

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nice work, rosie.

Draft saved Draft deleted