1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evel Knievel makes his last jump

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OTD, Nov 30, 2007.

1. KoM

KoM Member

Plus 1 on the stunt cycle Christmas present. I've still got mine upstairs at home. When I get off I may go dig it out, have a beer and see if will still jump some old school books. That's what I used them for then.

RIP Evel. Thanks for all the bike crashes you inspired me to have and walk away from.

VIVA KNIEVEL

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I didn't have the bike but I had the Snake River Rocket thingy.

I was bummed. I always wanted the bike. The rocket wouldn't do shit.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

He went up this time and never came down ..

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I had that toy, wind up Evel bike, too. I can still picture in my mind's eye winding that thing up and waiting for the bike's front end to kick up in the air.

And it is hard to describe the phenomenon - I remember watching Wide World of Sports for one of his jumps (which of course they kept until the end and probably made me watch some crappy ice skating or something).

RIP, Evel.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We'll always have Evel Knievel this generation gets Steve-O - hey speaking of WWorld of Sports, whatever happened to barrell jumping on ice, or toboggen races - that stuff ruled.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Is everybody putting this story inside so that it doesn't have to jump?

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, what a name from the past. Well done, sir.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Sonofabitch...this sucks. I have vivid memories of watching Evel's assorted stunts on ABC's Wide World of Sports as a wide-eyed villain in training. I still have my stunt cycle somewhere. During my 20s that mini-Evel was quite a hit at parties. Nothing like getting a bunch of drunk women to lay on the floor side-by-side so that mini-Evel could leap across their breasts. Good times!

His passing saddens me very much. It takes a lot for someone I didn't know's death to affect me. But Jean Claude Van Dammit...this one just saddens me.

My favorite Evel story was told by Frank Gifford [I believe it was on SportsCentury]. One of Evel's stunts went awry as they sometimes did and Evel smacked into a wall pretty hard. He was in bad shape. The camera crews are rushing towards him to capture every moment of his fracture induced agony. Evel calls out to Giff - "Frank! FRANK!" - and Frank leans down expecting to hear Evel's possibly dying words. Evel says "Make sure they get that broad out of my dressing room." Cuh-lassic!

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Does this make Super Dave our new Greatest American Stuntman?

10. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I'm disappointed that he died in such a mundane fashion.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I'd hand the torch to Chris Moreno. I never saw Super Dave [FYI: Dave "Super Dave" Osbourne is the brother of Albert Brooks] do this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good career move.

Draft saved Draft deleted