1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evangelicals' Newest Complaint

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, May 3, 2008.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

If you ask me, they started the need for faith and politics to mix, so now they have no one to blame but themselves.

Discuss...*calmly!*

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2004389594_apevangelicalmanifesto.html?syndication=rss

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Did you read beyond the headline BN? It certainly seems they are blaming themselves.

Conservative Christian leaders who believe the word "evangelical" has lost its religious meaning plan to release a starkly self-critical document saying the movement has become too political and has diminished the Gospel through its approach to the culture wars.

3. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Yes, Spirited, I did read beyond the headline, and that is why I submitted this.

How they did not catch on to the damage they were doing to themselves (and people of other faiths for that matter) for so long (when the rest of the world kept pointing it out to them) doesn't say much for their approach, as far as can be seen.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

They're just now seeing that the seperation of church and state is to the betterment of religion? Thanks for joining the party.

5. Exactly. The separation protects both church and state. Many have lost sight of half of that equation.

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Many of us have seen that for a long time. Evangelicals are not as united behind the Red Elephant Club as it would appear. Christians have had trouble remembering what our mission is throughout history.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Aren't we supposed to be bashing the gays?

8. Yes, you have failed politically, and you have done untold damage while doing so.
    Go away now please.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. There was some non-evangelical clergy involving themselves in the anti-war movement in the 1960s.

I'm of the mind-set that the clergy ought to shut up about politics. It should be part of the deal if they want the government staying out of church business. If a church wants to meddle in political, legal or secular social issues, we ought to be able to tax the fuckers.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Left Christians?

In the context of the article, who does that refer to?

11. *raises hand*

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They only have themselves to blame for looking like total nut jobs.

They're a decade late and about $15 million short.

Draft saved Draft deleted