1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evan Grant leaves Dallas Morning News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Evan Grant, the award-winning baseball writer who covered the Rangers for the DMN, has left the paper. Grant had been shifted to Cowboys coverage in the content-sharing FUBAR with the Star-Telegram. Here's what he's doing now.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Also in that link it says Denton is having layoffs and 100 more will be laid off at the Providence Journal: http://shenews.projo.com/2009/02/ah-belo-lays-of.html

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if they shifted beats on him intentionally, hoping he would leave...

Sad...

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Doesn't say how many in Denton, but it's pretty well-staffed for a 19K.

(Update: Found out the layoffs all happened last week, and their ASE was laid off. The only one in sports that was laid off.)

5. highlander

highlander Member

Well there is no more Rangers beat at the DMN with the FWST handling the Rangers for both papers now.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

That's assuming the FWST can keep the lights on long enough to last through the season.

7. Mizzougrad96

Well, that makes sense then...

8. My assumption is they shifted him to Cowboys, high profile beat, in hopes that he would stay.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Cowboys beat is definitely the top of the food chain, but Evan's a seamhead through and through.

I've known people who worked at the DMN who were good guys, and some who were tool boxes. Evan's one of the good guys. Wish him well.

10. Mizzougrad96

I can never keep track how many people the DMN has on that beat. True seamheads don't want to cover anything but baseball. Some of us, (like me) were plotting our escape as soon as we started covering baseball. :)

11. micke77

micke77 Member

Have known Evan since his days around here in Louisiana. had a hunch this might happen after my friend at FWST had told me about all of the crap going down there and the "blending" of the two papers in the metroplex.
    Evan is a good guy and a good writer. Hate to hear this.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

[​IMG]

No comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted