1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evan Bayh not Running for Re-Election

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

This just in from the last Congressional session....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You did happen to notice that a Republican is now sitting in Ted Kennedy's seat, didn't you? I'd venture to guess Mass. is more liberal than Md.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Mass. has more registered independent voters than Maryland does. It may be more liberal, per se, but probably by fewer degrees than you think. And Maryland is much more heavily registered Democrat.

Maryland has had one Republican governor since Spiro Agnew, and he lasted exactly one term. I can't remember the state having a GOP Senator. Its two biggest voting bases are both in urban settings (Baltimore and Washington), which far outnumber the number of voters who are in the more rural areas.

And lastly, since I've done a little political coverage in my home state, trust me it's a lot harder than you'd think to come up with five Republicans who hold elected office right now. One of them I can come up with would be better known as The Heckler. None of them are holding statewide offices. Not even official state dog catcher. Outside some state legislative districts it's a completely irrelevant party. In Annapolis the GOP couldn't stop me from taking a shit on John Paul Jones' alcohol-filled casket. It has ONE Congressional seat -- across the panhandle and into northern Maryland.

Every GOPer's wet dream is comparing Scott Brown to Maryland. You'd need to advertise in two, not one, major media market. Believe me, at the state wide level I'd like to find a credible Republican to vote for. The state could use some. But the party is broke and lacking here. It's Bob Ehrlich and the who gives a shits?

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Headbutt:

What are Michael Steele's future prospects there? As I remember, he was Lt. Gov. for four years from 2003-07 and ran an unsuccessful campaign for U.S. Senate. Is he a viable candidate for any statewide office there?

5. Flying Headbutt

Now that he's a national guy? Probably not anytime soon. Before he took that gig there were some who hoped he'd run for governor this year, though now the GOP is pinning all the hope it can muster on Ehrlich again.

I think Steele is really engaging and easy to like. He ran a clever campaign against a dullard, and still didn't come close to winning thanks to people being beyond fed up with Bush. Granted, I like Cardin because he's so easy to get a hold of for stories, but if I had my choice of hanging out between the two, I'm taking my man from across town. But right now he's not even on the radar here in Maryland thanks to his national duties. Which is just as well. Statewide it's damn near impossible for anyone with an (R) next to their name to do much right now.

6. Flying Headbutt

BTW, this morning the Baltimore Sun says Mikulski has all about announced her re-election by raising money and hiring a campaign manager. She's also running unopposed right now and says she's not retiring.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The world's most attractive politician, Brad Ellsworth, former sheriff from Evansville, apparently will run for Bayh's seat. Meanwhile, others might be more included to watch Ellsworth's seat. He puts the body into the world's most deliberative body. (KA-BOOM!)

http://howeypolitics.com/

[​IMG]

Who loves a man in uniform?

Draft saved Draft deleted