1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evan Bayh not Running for Re-Election

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow. Big news.

MSNBC breaking news -- no link yet.

2. Wow. That opens the door to Dan Coats reclaiming the seat then.

This quote tells me all I need to know: “Two weeks ago, the Senate voted down a bipartisan commission to deal with one of the greatest threats facing our nation: our exploding deficits and debt."

Basically Evan Bayh is tired of being asked to pretend he's a Democrat.

No big loss.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the better democrats. I have a feeling a lot of democrats are going to decide not to run after discovering how badly they're polling.

Yes, this one is pretty stunning. I always thought Bayh would wind up running for President at some point.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

A politician retiring because he's tired of partisan behavior is about as believable as a chef retiring because he's tired of food.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I have a feeling Bayh wouldn't be leaving if Hillary had won.

Actually, on health reform, the problem is not Bayh trying to pretend he's a Democrat. The problem is trying to pretend his wife is not on the boards of mega-insurance and pharma companies.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think a lot of democrats would be a lot safer if Hillary had won.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Retiring after raising $13 million for your re-election campaign verges very close to the statutory definition of fraud. Campaign funds are OK as personal income if you pay taxes on it.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, unless he turns over all his campaign money, Bayh is really screwing over the Democratic Party in Indiana by making this sudden announcement. Because of Bayh's sure win, the Republicans had such uninspiring choices as John "Bringin' a Gun Through the Airport" Hostettler and the Ghost of Dan Coats. The Democrats had no one, because why would anyone run for this seat? Now Coats might end up winning by default because except for maybe Joe Kernan, there's not a statewide Democrat who could step in and move the meter in any significant way.

Of course, the Indiana Republican party has been known to steal defeat from the jaws of victory many times before. It'll be interesting to see if the long line of candidates who declined to run against Bayh (Mike Pence, currently secretary of state Todd Rokita) jump back in. Coats is running basically because the Republicans begged him. His most significant campaign statement so far is how much he loves, and can't wait to live in, the great state of... North Carolina.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Sadly, I think you're correct, given how during the primaries white people over 65 -- a large part of the electorate -- could not bring themselves to vote for Obama. Heck, how many of them couldn't do so in the general election, or how many of them are showing up screaming at town hall meetings for government to stay away from their Medicare. What was Biden except for a way to tell old white people that the black man with the funny name was not so scary? (NOTE: I'm not calling all older white people racists. But you have to be a fool to believe that race had NOTHING to do with many older people's objections to Obama.)

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He may still do that.

In 2012.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He has -- but he couldn't get more than a minute percentage of the party to care. And that's the name of that tune.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If Evan Bayh couldn't even make it out of the starting gate in 2008, he's not going to run against an incumbent, even potentially a battered one, in 2012. If voters are that ticked off at Obama, they'll vote Republican. And if Democrats are that ticked off, someone will run from his left.

Draft saved Draft deleted