1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evaluating Teachers is Hard Work

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hey, I don't mind the subject. Jeez, I remember I mentioned something about teachers and salaries and time off here when Fenian Bastard was around, and he'd go berserk..

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Plenty knew it.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

They can be absolutely huge. I've seen bad ones and seen the school fall apart around them. Even if you have good teachers, if the kids learn that the administration isn't going to hold them accountable for what they do in school, it makes it a lot harder on the teachers.
    I've also seen good ones who can come in to a bad school and turn it around. Good administrators are a huge factor in school success. Of course part of that is that they make good decisions about their teachers - they hire good teachers and they provide good training/support for those they have.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just another day of target practice on the righties' favorite scapegoats, the slack-ass public school teachers.

Gotta take some more skin out of their asses so we can lower taxes on The Job Creators some more.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I would think being a NBA beat writer is equally, if not more, arduous. It's half the games, but the travel is harder. At least in baseball, you're in a city for a few days. NBA goes from dot-to-dot without much regard to sense. Back-to-back's in Milwaukee and Cleveland ... stuff like that would wear you down quick.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Cry me a river for the Principal who thinks dedicating 10 percent of her 40 week work year towards evaluating the teachers who work for her is a burden.

And, apparently, she previously dedicated 0 percent to this task.

We don't think this is a problem?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a lot more off days in the NBA. There are a few crazy back-to-backs each season, but usually that many. I know the lockout shortened season was an exception.

Baseball also has spring training. It's not a tough gig, but you are away from home. It would be the same for basketball teams who hold training camps out town. Not sure if the Lakers are the only one.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And of course the principal doesn't think that, but why let it get in the way of the narrative?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would think the NFL is probably the easiest gig, in terms of physical exhaustion. Travel to some meetings and the draft, go away for 3-4 weeks for training camp, and you only have to be away for another 10 or more (including preseason) weekends per year.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Buncha' people who get paid to travel and write stories for a living twatting off about teachers. That's rich.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I thought the right-wing/teabagger/financial-responsiblity/i-don't-wanna-pay-no-taxes-for-nothin crowd wanted to make teachers MORE accountable for their performance (i.e. more opportunities to get rid of them) so it would make sense they would be in favor of any and all measures taken to assess teacher performance and provide more opportunities for elimination.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Starman, is there any chance you could allow this conversation to continue without dragging it toward getting locked with all the political crap?

Politicians from both parties take plenty of shots at teachers and and administrators. I don't blame YF's politics for his lousy attitude toward educators. I blame YF, mostly because he has no idea what he is talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted