1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

European Travel Tips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

UPDATE:

So, I booked one of the rooms recommended by an SportsJournalists.commer in Paris for 75 Euro per night, and compared flights and train rides, and decided to go by train. Also, I've taken the advice to scrap Venice from my plans this time and insert Florence. Adding Florence was the tipping point in deciding to travel by train, as it is on the way to where I was planning to go anyway, and sounds really cool. Doing that, I can go Paris > Florence (overnight w/ sleeper cabin, thus no hotel room) > Rome > Naples > Rome ( for flight home) by train in first-class (except for one short leg) for less than $300 USD.

There was a cheap flight to Rome but I got the feeling right off that I was going to be nickel and dimed at every turn and would probably waste half a day or more dealing with airport headaches. So it looks like the trip is starting to shape up.

Paris
    Florence
    Rome
    Naples
    Capris (day trip)

Thanks for all your tips. I still need to book affordable rooms in Florence and Rome, so if anyone has any special knowledge there please let me know. Otherwise, I'm happy about the way things are shaping up and feeling a little less Clark Griswoldish.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Maybe Bed, Bath and Beyond ...

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Pretty much, yeah. It's probably not ideal for someone in your position who's going to have more than just a backpack.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It might be too late for you to do this, but before we went on our first trip to Paris, I took an introductory French course at my local community college. I did it only to be able to order in a restaurant, ask for directions, buy tickets at museums, etc., and it turned out to be awesome. I've since forgotten everything I learned, but the people loved the fact that I was trying and I don't think I said anything idiotic.

Also, leave everything at home that identifies you as an American. This includes baseball hats with the logo of your favorite team, logoed golf shirts, etc.

5. An option for accommodation is a monastary or convent - seriously.

Here's a site with places in Italy. I had a friend who did it and swore by it - inexpensive, clean, usually well-situated and an interesting place to stay

http://www.monasterystays.com/?show=localities&id=9

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Doesn't matter about logos, you will be identified as an American anyway unless you learn to dress European... seriously

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What do y'all think about luggage? I've got every type of bag imaginable: big and small rolling luggage, big and small backpacks, duffel bag type bags, etc. I was thinking about taking an average size roller and a backpack but my brother suggested maybe just going with one large backpack and one small one. I'm planning on taking a small netbook, headphones, camera, some books, one pair of dark slacks, one button-up shirt, polos, shorts, undies and toiletries. Not planning on bringing a jacket or tie (any reason I should?). I'll have been gone 6 days before I get to my brother's where I can do laundry for free. My brother thinks anything on wheels will be a big disadvantage when I'm trying to make my way through Europe. Thoughts?

p.s. Thanks again for all the feedback. I am a neophyte and am looking for all the advice I can get.

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

As for luggage, take the smallest rolling bag you can get away with and a carry-on with a shoulder strap. Getting on and off trains in Europe with a lot of luggage is a pain in the ass and there are rarely any carts or anything at the stations. You'll be doing a lot of walking with stairs at the stations.

I never saw this thread initially and I've been to most of the European countries. Of the places you're going, here are some recommendations: Don't miss the David in Florence. You may think you're not into art but it's stunning. When I was there, an art student literally started crying when she saw it. In Rome, the usual, St. Peter's, Vatican museum, etc., go to Tre Scalini in the Piazza Navona, have the tartufo for dessert. You won't regret it. Also, eat gelato every day in Italy. The gelato store by the Pantheon is excellent. It is very hard to get a bad meal in France or Italy anywhere. All the little cafes have great food and great wine. In Paris, the Hotel de Fleurie in the 6th (I believe or possibly 8th) arrondissement is a great little hotel. That neighborhood is full of restaurants and cafes and the Cafe Hemingway (where he supposedly hung out every night) is a few blocks away. It is easy to get around by Metro in Paris but if you take a cab, just know that the cabbies have attitude and ignore it.

Capri is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. The Blue Grotto is a bit of a ripoff but go if you must. I don't see that you'll need a jacket and tie unless you're going to a really fancy restaurant. I'll try to look up some more restaurant suggestions in my travel journals and come back with more.

Draft saved Draft deleted