1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Euro 2008 — Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jun 3, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The counter-attack for the 2nd Dutch goal was tremendous, and just inspired by van Bronkhorst. Clears the Italian corner off the line, then takes off down the left side to provide the cross that led to the goal. Absolutely brilliant play by him goalline to goalline.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Healey and Gray have been dynamite.

3. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I agree with the ESPN broadcasters for the Euro Cup. They are really good. The Netherlands have always been one of my favorite teams to watch because they play entertaining soccer. They are showing it against what looks like an outclassed Italian team. Italy misses Canavaro's skill and leadership.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The ref has been about as good as he was in the UEFA Cup Final. Not at all. I don't know how the offside goal gets allowed, but in addition to that, he seems unwilling to call any fouls close to either penalty area.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Incredible. Both legitimate Dutch goals have come straight after the Italians go ridiculously close to scoring themselves.

van Bronkhorst was highly deserving of a goal for his work tonight.

6. The Dutch are fast becoming one of my favorite teams to watch. High-energy, aggressive and--as wannabe said--extremely entertaining.

And as I type this, they take off looking for a fourth goal.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And clip the top of the crossbar.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And Tommy Smyth proves what an idiot he is by saying the Dutch goal was onside because Panucci could have gotten back onto the field from flat on his back behind the goalline.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Re: Euro 2008 — Running Thread

Couldn't hear the commentary where I was watching, but what a performance by the Dutch. Absolutely marvelous. 3-0 didn't flatter them at all.

Of course, they're generally good for about one performance a tournament that makes you wonder how they ever lose to anyone, anywhere. Hopefully they can maintain it. But a win by any of the big three in the group against each other should be enough to secure passage, especially with the French laying an egg.

I found it interesting in looking at the brackets for the semifinals that teams from the same group could meet there, and not in the final. It's A v. B and C v. D all the way to the final.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The thing is, I thought Italy played far better than either France or Romania did today, and yet they got the 3-0 loss and are bottom of the group.

If you look at some of the chances Italy had, from the header cleared off the line to Grosso's close-range shot and Pirlo's free kick that were both well saved by van der Sar, or Toni's chance that he lobbed over the bar, you could argue they should have scored at least once.

Italy won't hit the panic button, and I expect them to beat Romania on Friday to go back into second place.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed, and this from a guy whose grandparents moved to America from Sicily. I loved how they played. I just wish that performance would have been against any other team.

12. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Tommy Smyth said that because the official word that ESPN got was that the goal was allowed because Panucci could have gotten back on the field. Andy Gray said the same thing late in the game when they got the official ruling of the goal and he laughed how ridiculous a statement that was. No way that should have been a goal.
    Even though Italy lost 3-0, they still had their chances to make it closer. I think they will beat Romania and France and eventually finish second in the group. The Dutch-Italy game was easily the best game of the tourney so far. The Dutch and Germany have played the best so far through one game, although there are two more games tomorrow, one featuring Spain.

Draft saved Draft deleted