1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Euro 2008 — Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Turks look outclassed today. They'll be thrilled with a draw.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sweet goal.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Portugal should've had probably 4 more goals. They hit the pipe 3 times. I loved the first goal by Pepe -- a little give-and-go that the Turks didn't have a prayer of stopping.

Deutschland vs. Poland mañana! I will have the Johnsonvilles ready.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm not sure what to make of Bunin. Obviously, he's not a soccer guy, but I like his enthusiasm.

I think he has a chance at being a lot better.

I was very disappointed for the Swiss.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

How much of the ball did Pepe's shot. From the replay that I saw, it looked as if it the ball really changed direction quickly.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

What did everybody think of the games today?

I didn't see all of the Germany game, but from what I saw, they completely outclassed the Poles.

In the other game, the penalty call was clearly right, but I thought Austria deserved more there--they outplayed Croatia for long stretches of the game.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The thing I took away from the Austria game was that both they and the Swiss are really raising their game in front of their countrypeople.

Tommy Smyth was saying he was disappointed by the Croats, but to be honest there aren't many harder games than against a host-nation to open the tournament. They're really keyed up, full of adrenaline, and I think that showed in both hosts performances yesterday and today.

Germany looked very good, although Poland was very bad at the back, two horrible mistakes led to the goals. The Poles were trying to play the offside trap all game, and almost every time someone would forget to step up and play everyone on. Germany could have had more.

First 'Big' game of the tournament tomorrow: Holland vs. Italy, 2:45 p.m. Should be a belter.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

France doesn't seem to have that certain je ne sais quois about its play right now. It should really bring Benzema and Ribery inside to unlock the Romanian defense, maybe play a 4-3-2-1.

9. the french suck

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Don't know why they're not seeing it on the replays, but it seemed to me Buffon pulled his hands away, but caught van Nistelrooy's back foot with his hip, which knocked him off balance.

Holland's playing very well, entertaining game.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Brutal missed offside call gifts the Dutch a goal. 1-0.

Nothing cheap about the second one, though. Absolutely stunning counterattack. 2-0.

And Andy Gray and Adrian Healey are my new favorite broadcasting team.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Gray is doing a great job. I wished ESPN could get him on the Champions League broadcasts. I'm sure he'll be doing work for British TV in 2010, but it would be nice if ESPN could lock him up for that as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted