1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Euro 2008 — Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/

I'm pretty excited about it. I'm disappointed England didn't make the field, but I don't think Die Mannschaft will have a problem in their group.

Can I get my Fußball_Bat handle back for just this month? :D

ESPN is doing all 31 matches live, and the U.S. start times are friendly — late morning and early afternoon.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Forza Azzurri!

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Cannot believe that it was 4 years ago that I was flying to Lisbon for the first week of the tournament. That was a hell of a great time.

I'm going to say that it will be Germany and the Dutch in the finals, with Robben and the gang bringing home the trophy.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I went to Euro 2000 for two weeks, and that was the best time I've ever had. A buddy of mine who lives in the US is Dutch. We stayed with his folks, so I was more or less going "native" instead of "tourist" which was great being not only at the matches but staying in a smaller town rather than a city.

Experiencing the tournament as the locals do was great.

(THREAD JACK - SORRY)

For all the soccer bashers on ESPN (Jim Rome, etc.), if no one in this country cares, why does ESPN continue to increase its coverage? Because apparently enough people do care to watch which translates into ratings meaning they can make money from ads.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because the games are on weekday afternoons and the miniscule audience still beats viewership numbers for poker and weightlifting.

6. Football_Bat

The matches should also be on Setanta Sports if you get it on DirecTV — doubtless they'll also be on one of the Spanish-language networks too.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's my point. Even in the afternoon, they draw enough to justify the coverage. If the audience wasn't there, they wouldn't show it. They broadcast soccer because they can make money, not just for the heck of it. The bashers should keep their uniformed opinions to themselves. Basically, what they are saying "Nobody cares about this so my employer is an idiot for showing it."

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So they outdraw poker? Whoop-dee-damn-doo!

9. jdklamp

jdklamp Member

Wonder if they are going to broadcast the games live from Bristol?

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FYI: The EuroCup Final will be shown on ABC on Sunday at 2:45 in the afternoon.

I didn't realize that "barely beating poker" in the ratings would receive such a significant spot.

ESPN EuroCup Schedule

11. Football_Bat

From what I could find, they're Bristoling it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2008-05-27-usa-england-advance_N.htm

Euro 2008:

ESPN will announce today that it has added Andy Gray, a prominent English TV analyst who calls England's national team and English Premier League matches, as game and studio analyst for its coverage of the UEFA Euro Football Championship 2008.

ABC/ESPN will televise 31 games in the tournament, which only aired on pay-per-view TV in the U.S. in 2004 and 2000. The networks normally use American announcers in part to help explain the sport to novice fans. All game announcers this time, however, are foreign-born: Gray, Adrian Healey, Robbie Mustoe, Derek Rae and Tommy Smyth. They'll call it off TV monitors at ESPN's Connecticut offices. "It's a departure for us, a nod towards the game's globalization," said Tim Scanlan, who's overseeing ABC/ESPN coverage.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted