1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Etiquette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer33, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I can see being mad about the guy calling the reporter at work.

Is that normal?

Anytime I've been offered a job out of the blue, they found a way to get ahold of me at home.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe writer33 is Lynn Hoppes.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

I heard about a much better gig in the press box at an NFL exhibition game, told a buddy I might be interested and took a call from the SE that night at work after I finished writing a gamer and notes. It happens. And I took the job two weeks later.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if he had called her on her cell phone while at work? Is that different?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I took a follow-up call at work after an interview for the job I currently have. Moment he called I knew they were serious about hiring me, since they tracked me down at work.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've worked with and alongside writers who are covering one team for one paper one day and a competing paper the next.

That's the extreme other side, but that's how it sometimes works.

7. Writer33

Writer33 Member

No, I'm not Lynn Hoppes. Ace, you bring up an interesting point and one I hadn't considered. There probably isn't anything wrong with that. Yeah, as someone else pointed out I might have a lot to learn about how he world works (I've only spent 55 years trying to figure it out), but I think it was in poor taste to call her on her newsroom phone. Thanks to all for the feedback.

8. Mizzougrad96

The most stunning aspect of all of this is that the writer didn't leave.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As you can see by SportsJournalists.com, poor taste is not uncommon in the biz.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True that. But the editor didn't show much ingenuity in not getting the reporter's cell number. If I'm the reporter I'm flattered regardless, but some discreetness would be appreciated. That's gotta catch you off-guard in the middle of the newsroom.

11. Writer33

Writer33 Member

What do you base that on? I don't believe I've revealed enough information to give you any knowledge of our reporter's current situation, or the reputation of this paper the other paper or the editor who called her.

12. Mizzougrad96

Oh, you dropped enough hints that I know all of the papers in question. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted