1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Etiquette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer33, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I work news side at a small daily. A couple of weeks ago one of our reporters takes a call. She hangs up and tells me the editor of a slightly larger daily approximately 30 miles down the road had just offered her a job. She turned it down. I've sat on it for a while because my first instinct was call the editor and tell her if she ever tries to take one of our reporters away that I would drive down and jam the phone she used to call our reporter down her throat. However, being the happy go lucky sort that I am, I didn't. How would you folks handle such a situation, if at all.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Dude, that's how the food chain works. You ought to be happy your reporters are doing good enough work that the big boys down the street are taking notice. Circle of life, and all that jazz.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Good thing I don't work for you. Shouldn't you be flattered that a larger paper thinks your writers are good?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He did nothing wrong.

5. Writer33

Writer33 Member

The reporter knows exactly what I think of her work and she is very good.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why don't you call and offer one of their folks a job?

7. Writer33

Writer33 Member

If I did, I would the reporter at his or her home. Not the newsroom. That's all that bothered me.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are you the boss? If not, why are you even entertaining thoughts of talking to the editor. And if you are the boss, then this disqualifies you from hiring anyone from another paper. You may only hire newbies.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree with Barzak. Be glad your reporters are good enough that somebody else wants them.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I literally don't understand the question.

It's life in the biz.

Maybe she just shouldn't have mentioned it to you. But beyond that, it happens all the time, it's business, not personal, and it's the way things work in our chosen profession.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Man, Writer33, you sure have a lot to learn about how the world works.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm glad Lynn Hoppes doesn't cry like a little girl every time someone tries to raid his staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted