1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Etiquette question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This afternoon, I was eating lunch in a sub shop near my home. There were only two other customers in the place, a couple that was in the middle of some sort of argument. I'm not sure what the argument was about and it's none of my business, but it was pretty heated, with lots of profanity.
    I just ignored them as best I could, watched the TV, pretended there was something interesting going on outside, etc., but I felt rather uncomfortable. Was it rude of me to sit there and eat while they were having this dispute? Should I have left or asked them to save their argument for some other time or ask them if I should leave?
    And frankly, though they may have thought it was something that needed to be ironed out right then and there, I see no reason why it could have waited until they got home.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey, you wanna shut the fuck up with the foul fucking language while I'm fucking eating here?

something like that

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Let's see.

THEY are the ones disrupting the sub shop with a loud profane argument, and you're asking if YOU'RE being rude?

4. Smallpotatoes

Well, they were there first.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was she hot?

Dude, that is free entertainment. They have made their business your business. Enjoy.

Although if I was with my kid or another child I would have shot them an "enough" look.

6. Smallpotatoes

Sadly, she wasn't. Think Wendy in Breaking Bad.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Ask politely, "Is this a private argument or can anybody join in?"

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

That once happened to me in a Rhode Island McDonalds.

It was like some sort of fantastic dinner theatre with two buffoons talking in annoying accents arguing about religion. I never wanted to leave. Like a Greek dialogue if Socrates was a moron and he was arguing with his moronic wife.

But being from the Midwest, I'm always entertained by people from the East Coast. Everything is so emphatic. I'm spellbound by the loud voices, hand gesturing and outright hostility.

This is why we're all tubs of lard in the flyover states. We actually eat while in restaurants.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And unless they owned the sub shop, that has no bearing.

Why didn't the shop owner/manager/worker drones tell them to shut up?

And socaldude has the best answer so far.

10. Smallpotatoes

Since I'm single I guess I just don't understand why whatever their problem was had to be settled right the and there.
    There's no reason it could not have waited until they got home or someplace private.
    Or is there?

11. beanpole

beanpole Member

Nope, it wasn't rude of you. It was rude of them.
    Leaving was probably your best option, unless you were being entertained by the fight.
    Never, ever break in and ask if you should leave. They'll just both turn on you and you might find yourself with more ugliness than you can handle.

12. Smallpotatoes

Was just trying to ignore them as best I could OK, too?
    Again, there's no reason they had to iron out their dispute right then and there. No way it could have been that important.

Draft saved Draft deleted