1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics: Spirit of the Game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Highway 101, May 25, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Look, I know you want me to say this, so I will. Yes, your duty to journalism comes first. And it would mean more to me than trying to right a wrong in a sporting event.

We are the detached observers.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

So you're perfectly fine calling someone a winner who really didn't win? I don't BELIEVE this.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I might be an awful person for doing this, but I was so detached when I covered games that I would not clap when an injured player came off the field.

Ethically wrong as a human being? Yes.

Should a reporter clap for a player? No.

I'm guessing I am in the minority on this, but I just made sure to look like I was writing something when everyone was clapping.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nope. I'm right there with you.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's not about being perfectly fine about it. It's about doing your job. It's ... not ... about ... you.

6. 93Devil

If you covered a game where Gaylord Perry was pitching, would you run on the field and ask him to take off his cap for inspection?

Would you ask Rollie Fingers to stop lubing up his fingers on his moustache?

Would you tell Bruce Bowen to stop grabbing a jersey or "accidentily" getting his legs caught up with a shooters?

Would you tell a baseball team that the other team has stolen their signals?

Would you stop a boxing match because one fighter is thumbing the other in the eye?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No. If you are certain that someone cheated and you can verify that fact, you REPORT that someone cheated. Really, this isn't so difficult. No reporter has any duty to the sport of golf.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Please cite the passage in baseball's rules that permit anyone except the umpires to get involved in how the game is officiated. You're discussing apples and oranges. How many times do I have to say this? In THIS one regard, like it or not, golf is different.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For the competitors? Yes.

For us? Not so much.

Sorry.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm afraid we're in "agree to disagree" territory TR...

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

By the way, I think this is a really interesting discussion, the kind that make this a really worthwhile site.

Tri, here's where I think the argument breaks down.

Even if I can make the case that the reporter should do something with this regardless -- and I'm having a hard time doing that -- what changes the equation in this specific case is that the other people in his group and their caddies know what he did. Now you have people who are "inside the arena," so to speak, and with that alternative, I think that the reporter should stay out of it. It's up to people participating in the event to sort it out at that point.

12. 93Devil

Has there ever been an example of a golf match being changed by a writer pointing out a rules violation?

I'm not being argumentative here. I'm just curious to see what happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted