1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics question ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I've been in the newspaper business for more than 10 years, so I understand the ethics side of things, what to do and what not to do. But I only understand those ethics for newspapers.

Listening to the radio today, a certain program was about to end when one of the hosts says, "We have to thank the boys over at Podunk Restaurant, who supplied with all of these goodies today. Podunk is one of the best spots around town you can eat."

Now what makes that OK for radio? As we all know, we'd be crucified if we did it in print. To be honest, it doesn't bother me all that much, just wondering if any talking heads out there can tell me why it's different when we're all supposed to be "journalists."

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does the radio station ever cover the restaurant?

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Only its beer softball league team.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's advertising. The restaurant brings over food for the hosts for a plug.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Radio hosts are journalists?

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I get that, and I get that there's more than one way to skin a cat, but it's something we do not do in our business. If a restaurant gives me a meal, I can't just throw it into my next column for a plug. It doesn't work like that. Or at least I hope it doesn't.

Like I said, apparently it's a different animal in radio.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's certainly nothing new.

I worked at a place where they fired a bunch of guys for trading products and services for on-air plugs.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hear that all the time on the radio here. I'm gonna demand a Baby Ruth for my next post, dammit.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

When I did play-by-play for high school football, a local pizza place would deliver us a pizza at the start of the game. They were right across the street from the football field and we would mention they sent us fresh-made, 2 topping large for 5.99 until 10 p.m. tonight, and if you order now, you can pick up the pizza at halftime of the high school game.
    Crap like that. I ate for free, they got in a plug (along with the commercials that aired during the pre-game show that they paid for) and I always saw people eating the pizza after halftime.
    Ethical? Sure. They bought an ad, and the stipulation was that we shilled it live on the air.
    Now, had there been no paid ad in the show, and they still wanted me to do this "as a favor", then...yeah, unethical.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If they pay for an ad, there's nothing unethical about it whatsoever. That's how radio works...

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Hypothetical: What if rival pizza place pays for twice the ads and delivers twice the pizza. Do they get the on-air shoutout? Seems like a slippery slope.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It wouldn't have been up to me. It was a business deal. If they had paid more..yeah, they would have been the one to sponsor the pre-game show.

Right, I was just giving an example of how radio works. Maybe it's a trade/pay type of situation that we don't know about. That's all.

Draft saved Draft deleted