1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 18, 2006.

1. jps

jps Active Member

As far as I'm concerned, if it happens in a game, print it.
    Do you go after a kid? No, probably not. But if he/she elects to play high school sports - especially in areas where that is all people care about - they've got to take the good with the bad.
    If little Janey drops a fly that allows the game-winning run to come across, run it. Most everyone that cares was there and saw it ... if they didn't, someone told them about it. She was there. She knows she did it. Our running it is not gonna hurt her any worse. Will it annoy her parents? Probably. But, in my experience, the kid never cares much that it's in there.

2. Gob Bluth

Gob Bluth Member

I know this year in the State Baseball Playoffs, I had a bonehead play by one player that cost them a shot at the State Championship. It was the State Quarerfinals and the kid grounds out driving in a run, but for some dumb reason he lifted his elbow and smacked the 1B. He was trying to knock the ball lose, but caught the kid straight in the face.
    He was tossed and was going to start on the mound the next day. Instead he acted like Robert Fick and was out the next day as well. The team fell in the semifinals the next day.

The coach protected him in the story, but it had to be printed. I never got any flack for printing the story. Of course I could have called it like it was being a dirty play, but I decided against it.

Draft saved Draft deleted