1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics on double dipping?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BobSacamano, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What do your feelings have to do with anything?

Would you rather have a really good stringer cover the game for your paper and one other paper OR a really raw stringer write just for you while the good one is covering for the out-of-town paper?

I'll hang up and listen.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Have you paid attention to the rest of this thread?

All I'm saying is I don't want the EXACT same story as someone else is going to get. That's it. That's all. I'm not saying you shouldn't double dip. By all means, feel free. But if I'm stringing the assignment out, I expect (at the very least) a different lede and a couple of quotes from our area's coach/player.

I don't care if you write 35 stories from the game and get paid 35 times. As long as the story I'm paying for is different than the weekly newspaper we compete against in our area, is different than the story in the big-state daily and is different than the Patch sites in our area, then I don't care what else you choose to do with your time.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, I have.

I haven't really seen anyone suggesting they wrote the exact same story for different papers or that papers were cool with paying to get the exact same story as someone else.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That's how I read Stitch's last two comments on Page 1.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I read "exclusivity" differently. I don't think it's ever right to give two papers the same story unless that's what they expect.

Maybe 80 percent of the same story.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In this day and age, with how much shit we've taken and how crappy pay and working conditions and job security is, fuck it ... if I can sell the R section of the phone book to 17 publications, I'm doing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted