1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics on double dipping?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BobSacamano, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why should the writer be up front? Newspapers pay for a story filed before a certain time. If exclusivity matters, an editor should be up front about it instead of whining about an unwritten code.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The writer should be up front, because being up front is the basis for every honest relationship. The only reason not to be up front is if you are trying to get over on someone.

The basics of every writing contract I have ever signed was that I was giving them publication rights to the story, whether it was all rights or first-time North American rights, or whatever. I know that with newspapers things are typically informal, and most SEs don't bother having written contracts with guys they pay to string games. But this is not unwritten code territory. If you are contracting the guy, unless it is stated up front, it's fair to presume you are contracting him for an original story that he will guarantee is his work, and to which he is giving you exclusive rights. Just about every writing contract states those basics, at minimum. It's fine if that is not the arrangement and you are OK with it, but for a writer to turn around and sell your story to competitors without you knowing is inherently dishonest. I don't see why anyone wouldn't axe that stringer, find someone new and make sure to explain that they want exclusive rights to the next guy.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Ragu, it's funny that you advocate for writers to be up front when you support the financial system that is based on deceit.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Can we stay on topic and stay away from uncalled for cheap shots please?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is why.

This isn't a one-way street. In any contract -- and that's what this is, written or not -- both sides should be clear about what they are doing and what is expected. Should they tell you what they expect to get in terms of rights and exclusivity? Sure. But you need to let them know what you expect as well. So if you want the right to sell the same story to someone else, you need to tell them that before entering into the contract.

Plus, you might want to work for that editor -- or one of his many editor friends -- in the future. Good luck with that if you go behind his back and get caught.

BTW, even if you're filing separate stories on the same event, you need to let all outlets know. Again, some outlets might not be comfortable with that arrangement, and there are all sorts of potential logistical pitfalls.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm a little unclear as to the reasons for some of the edgy feelings in this discussion.

I think it's just common, I dunno, politeness (decency?) to let somebody you're doing a freelance job for that you're also working for somebody else on the same event.

If I'm paying you a (pretty good) freelance fee, I wouldn't even consider that you'd file the same story for somebody else without letting me know.

That said, I suppose that if you file two different stories, and you hit my deadline, then it really doesn't matter if you tell me about the other job.

But if I'm the writer, I'd like both places I'm writing for to know.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

define original.

story A: Joe Blow bashed his 20th home run and 5th game-winning hit of the season....

story B: Joe Blow's 5th game-winning hit of the season and his 20th home run....

different. same information, same game, same characters, but different.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why do editors care about getting original stories from freelancers being paid $50 a pop when they are content on running the same AP copy seen in hundreds of newspapers across the country?

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It matters to me .... but that's a hell of a great question.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If I were in a position where I ran AP stories in my paper, that would be a good question. But, as it is, I'm at a local shop where it's all hyper-local preps coverage. As such, if I hire out a stringer for a story, I want something that's JUST going to be found in my paper because, well, otherwise it doesn't feel to me as if it's OUR paper covering the event.

We don't run AP so why would we want to run canned copy that could appear everywhere else?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Your paper doesn't run anything that doesn't appear in another paper in the chain?

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

We do but (for sports) we have a strict policy that it's got to be either 50-50 or separate stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted