1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics complaint filed against Durham, N.C., prosecutor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, whatever happened to good, old-fashioned hazing? And it doesn't cost a dime!

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wasn't going that route, Ace. No elephant walks are needed.

SID, as far as I'm concerned, if a team wants to have a Peter North film festival night, more power to them. I'd rather see that than kids putting themselves in other bad situations. Kinda hard to rape yourself.

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Many parties hire strippers, but it only becomes news if a student-athlete is there. (or in this case, many student-athletes a long with a stripper who claims Rape)

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Brodhead, the president, should be given a pass.

Joe Alleva, the AD, should go.

In his first year, he dumped football coach Fred Goldsmith, claiming he didn't win enough, and baseball coach Steve Traylor, believing the program was better than .500.

Goldsmith at least got Duke to a bowl his first year in '94, and wasn't too embarrassing in the subsequent years. Take a look at that program now.

Traylor had Duke's baseball program than it is now. A coach since hired had players doing steroids, and they got busted for it. Also, one of the baseball players was Alleva's son, who was busted for DUI.

A few months ago, Alleva's son, with Alleva on board, drove a boat into a sandbar on a lake in the Triangle. Alleva Jr. was again drunk at the controls and his father needed somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 stitches in his head.

Yeah, Joe Alleva needs to go. Now.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

So, hiring a stripper put the players in a position where they were wrongly accused of gang rape? This makes sense to you?

They're college kids having a good time. They hired a couple of strippers to dance at the party. They were drinking, passing around a few drugs and acting like immature idiots. Up to the point where this girl started screaming rape, you could find the same shit going on in at least two different places in every college town in America on Friday or Saturday nights.

I'm not trying to say that everything is just great with the situation, but it ain't terrible, either.

From what I've read, and maybe I missed something somewhere, there's one guy on this team that has had some trouble in the past. You gonna dislike 'em all because of that one guy?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, because they are higher-profile-than-normal college students. They are targets. It's not right, but whenever you bring in any outside influence, you have to be ever so careful to make sure you're not doing anything that can lend itself to a gold-digging claim.

Yes, they're being screwed. Yes, they could've used better judgment.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Higher profile?

They were lacrosse players. ;D

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Lacrosse players at Duke are more recognizable than football players, methinks.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You certainly have never played in the NBA, MLB, NFL, MISL, PBA, PGA, LPGA, NHL, NCAA, AAU, NIAA or NORML

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Nor in NAMBLA.

11. Yelling "Thank your grandpa for my cotton shirt" to Stripper No. 2 doesn't exactly endear me to the players.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

They tend to hire much, much younger strippers. (Or so I am told).

Draft saved Draft deleted