1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethically, should I do this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by enigami, Mar 30, 2008.

1. enigami

enigami Member

The rundown: I'm an NHL beat writer for a big daily. I have a blog on the side through the newspaper's Web site, but virtually no one – and I mean NO ONE – reads it. A pretty big hockey-only Web site recently invited me to be one of its paid bloggers.

Other credentialed NHL reporters have already made the leap from their newspapers/stations elsewhere into the blogosphere, but for me that's not enough of a green light. My gut tells me that, since I already keep a blog (albeit an unpopular one) through the newspaper that is allowing me to be a credentialed reporter in the first place, I shouldn't be taking money to provide exclusive content for someone else's Web site. And if the content isn't exclusive, I shouldn't be taking money for it.

Thoughts?

2. Magnum

Magnum Member

If your newspaper doesn't care, it's not a problem.

You are going to discuss it with your newspaper, aren't you?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It depends on what the bosses say. You're on their dime when covering a game. So it's not a matter of ethics per se, it's getting permission to freelance on the side.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Doesn't hurt to ask.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

As long as your shop is cool, I see no issue with it.
    Full-timers freelance all the time.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ask your current shop. You could be making a mountain out of a molehill, especially if your bosses don't care about possibly freelancing in addition to your work for your current shop.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but ask your SE and nobody else. absolutely no reason to break the chain of command on this one ... and you'll probably receive a much more favorable response as well.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

SE's are usually ok, as long as the paper gets a credit, or even better, a link back to your newspaper blog

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

let me throw in a disclaimer: the editor i have now is cool as shit.

with that said, i'd let guys/gals do just about anything if it meant picking up extra cash or making a name for themselves as long as their work at the paper didn't suffer and they weren't branching off into a classless endeavor.

editors i've had in the past? not so much.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you're at a big daily, maybe some of the other pro beat writers have been in your situation. See if there's any precedent for this.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think asking a bunch of questions lowers the chances of enigami getting the green light. why start a debate that weighs the positives and negatives? ask the one person who matters and get it over with.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And get the approval in writing. Especially if you work at the Orlando Sentinel.

Draft saved Draft deleted