1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by What Deadline, Nov 24, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Gifts are like tips. They make us work harder to do a good job. If we didn't get them, we might not do as good of a job.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ethics in journalism are as outdated as pica polls, copy carriers and full newsrooms.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Of course it's unethical. That's not in question. The real question is whether you give a damn or not about it being unethical. Some do.

4. What Deadline

What Deadline New Member

I guess that's what I really wanted to gauge. It bothers me. But maybe I'm just being too naive. Even in the current state of our profession, I still believe in what we do. Maybe too much.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

See, this stuff happens all the time. When it is something that benefits the lowly staffers, it's an ethical no-no. When it's something that benefits the company overall, it's business as usual.

Publishers and editors who get real pious with their newsroom employees often do not think twice about bending standards to suit their own deal-making.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At one of my stops, free tickets were all over the place. I was always afraid to ask for them, but I got so many handed to me by co-workers that I lost track. My former boss (a very well-respected SE in this business) was king of throwing around tickets to everything from movie premieres to concerts to plays to sporting events.

The way it was explained to me is that because the paper was a corporate sponsor of most of these events and that's why we had the tickets.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Most of the tickets we get are swap deals.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So true. I sometimes forget about that. I'd say keep the tickets, but some shops might fire you over that. In this economy you might not want to risk that. Taking freebies I'm sure is a fireable offense in some shops.

9. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

I once did a story on a local off-roader and after the photographer left, the local off-roader tried to slip me $200. I refused it and then told my SE when I got back to the office, so that I couldn't be accused of foul play.

I don't think it made a difference to the SE that I passed up the money, but to this day, I feel I did the right thing.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Oscar, Oscar, Oscar ... you did do the right thing.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Personally, I don't take anything if offered, but I don't see any problem with the magazine staffer taking the tix if it wasn't the writer.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Only unethical if you let it impact your reporting.

Draft saved Draft deleted