1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical Question: Should journalists show solidarity or show restraint?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jun 2, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Dude, your normal simpleton act is bad enough. Racist simpleton is going a little too far over the top.

Drew Brees' problem isn't timing or failure to preface his comments. His problem is that he's an asshole. Indignant white privilege isn't playing as well these days as it has in the past.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or at least understand - all these years later - why Kaepernick was kneeling.

Even if you disagree with it.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaaaaand now the stock photo walkback

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Never tweet. It'll only get you on trouble.

I'm not saying shit on social media. I hardly post anyway, and I'm not going to start with something as political as the ongoing protests.

Many of my friends are posting on Twitter and IG, but I won't join. It'll only lead to trouble.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Cmon. He was asked about kneeling during the anthem and should NEVER have offered his take at this time.

6. Fredrick

Did you read his quotes? He has family that was in the military and he loves America and the flag. This is the same position tons of players were taking publicly the last few seasons. Respect for military and the flag. At this time, you can't go there addressing the kneeling situation. Brees was an idiot to agree to answer the kneeling question.

7. PCLoadLetter

I listened to him speak.

You think that having family in the military and loving America makes him somehow unique? As if black people haven't served in the military and don't love the country? And not for nothing -- THE PROTEST DIDN'T HAVE A DAMN THING TO DO WITH THE MILITARY.

Drew Brees' point is that he didn't support the protest then and he doesn't really care now.

Stop suggesting that people are stupid to answer the question. The problem is his beliefs, not that he was somehow tricked into saying what he believes.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you’re going to have a problem with Brees, I think this is the right way to frame it.

9. Fredrick

My take is it's too early for a star athlete or any athlete to answer the "will players kneel" question? The answer obviously is hell yes they are going to kneel during the anthem if teams are dumb enough to play the anthem. And that will lead to absolute hell to pay from fans and columnists for those who stand instead of taking one knee. I stand by my take that Brees was very dumb to answer a question about kneeling during this passionate time and 2.) if he was going to go there he first needed to give a long heartfelt take on police brutality vs. African Americans and his HORROR at what happened to Mr. Floyd.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Asshole? Really?
    Very few athletes have done more for their city in the last 10-15 years than Drew Brees has done for New Orleans.

11. PCLoadLetter

He's also the top endorser of a multi-level marketing scam that convinces people to hustle their friends to buy and sell energy drinks so they can be "Champions for Jesus."

12. Fredrick

How dare you accuse somebody of such a heinous thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted