1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical? Interactive map of gun permit holders

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ringer, Dec 27, 2012.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Unless I read too quickly, everyone here (except the original poster) redefined what the map was.
    It was a map of gun PERMIT holders, not a map of gun owners. You can have a permit and not keep the gun in your house.
    You could do something bizarre and have a permit, but not own a gun.
    It was wrong to publish the entire list, since many retired and undercover police officers were on the list. At the very least they could have edited it to remove current and past law enforcement officers .

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I just don't think it accomplishes anything to put out information that stygmatizes people. One can make a privacy issue of it if they want, but I just don't think it helps anyone.

Have a friend who served time in prison and is working to rebuild his life. He's very guarded and suspicious around people, somewhat of a loner. He admitted he fears if people knew about his past, he wouldn't get a fair shot. He's trying to put the past behind him and move forward and it really doesn't help to be stygmatized.

To use your example, let's say you had a neighbor on the list. Would you look at him/her any differently, even without knowing the circumstances? I fear too many people would.

If there's a real need for the sheriff's office to keep a list on file, that's one thing. But I don't think it helps to publish it or put it online. As someone said earlier, what if they did that for everyone with a DUI conviction?

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Would I look at a neighbor differently if I knew he'd raped a 10-year-old boy? Yes, I would.

4. I hoe he isn't the friend who didn't think child rape was a big deal.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yes I would, and I have no problem with that. It's part of the "consequences of your actions" part of life that no one seems to want to live up to anymore. No offense, but once you do something that reprehensible as committing a sexual crime, you shouldn't get a fair shot.

If you're convicted of a crime that requires you to register as a sex offender, you have lost the right to get the benefit of the doubt. And I'd bet most parents would agree with that viewpoint.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Actually, it just so happens that my parents' next door neighbor -- a guy I've known for 30+ years, whose daughters I baby-sat as a teenager -- is now on the sex offender registry. After his wife died and his daughters went off to college, he started molesting little boys. He was already on the list when he was caught fondling a kid he targeted in a shopping center two years ago.

So, yeah, I view him differently now. I thought he was an asshole before. I think he's an asshole and a pederast now. He won't get anywhere near my kids. Sorry if that bums his shimmer.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, fine. You just proved my point as to why I disagree with publishing this sort of information.

Strange how we like to rate some sorts of offenses as major and others as minor.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I know. Crazy how some people stigmatize a 60 year old man raping little kids.

God, your act is tiresome.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

So the rape of a young boy is a minor offense? Is that what you're saying?

If it's an act. I have no idea of the backstory that some people know about him and allude to on here, but I'd bet it's an interesting one.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If he lived next door to me, it wouldn't take the local Gannett paper to let him know I was a gun owner.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Remember, there is a wide variation of what constitutes a "sex offense". It some places, an 18-year-old having sex with a 17-year-old is a felony sex offense. There's a lot more than just child rape that's involved.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

In my state, you can click on the map and bring up a page that shows a photo of the registered sex offender, what their offense was, when it was, the details, etc. So you can see exactly what the sex offense was that the person had to register for. Good enough to me.

Earlier, it appeared you replied to PC's account of living next to an older gentleman who started molesting young boys by saying "Strange how we like to rate some sorts of offenses as major and others as minor."

Do you consider that a major or a minor offense?

Draft saved Draft deleted