1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical dilemma at work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Most fun I've ever had buying many rounds of drink in the clubhouse. Best part? It happened during an annual outing with close friends. The three other friends in my group and my four buddies in the group ahead all saw it. Seven witnesses who know me well. Solid proof.

My biggest fear still is hitting one playing alone (almost impossible in the NYC area) or losing a ball off the tee and dunking one for par.

But I worry less now. I have one. Can't ever take it away. My Grandpa played for seven decades, and was pretty good, played well into his 90s. Never had one.

It's like an exclusive club. I'm sure you know the secret handshake, @doctorquant.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My Mom had a hole in one in front of what amounted to a gallery, as it came on the 18th at the Old White Course at the Greenbrier. All the people on the clubhouse porch and steps (and there are always a lot since it's in front of the doors to the men's and women's locker rooms) were going nuts. Since it's an elevated green she couldn't see it until she got there, but they told her about it. Probably one of the top moments of her 92 year and going life.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm down to a 6 and still have not had one yet (closest is on a reload; eagled twice from fairway); yet my now 15 yr old got one when he was 7; go figure.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, what a horrifying story. I have never made a hole-in-one (though I did get a phone call when @Deskgrunt50 made his and I wish I'd been there in person!) and my worst nightmare would be to make one by myself on some lonely morning and not have a witness. My dad had a par-in-one (first tee shot wet, second one in hole) but fortunately had a legit ace many years earlier. That too would drive me crazy.

I hope the player never finds out (again, with a golfer's delicate psyche, why bother now?), but that caddie absolutely has to be ratted out and fired. In the caddie barn I worked at over a few college breaks, we were all viewed pretty equally as schmucks so if one guy pulled a stunt like that I'm sure the entire barn could have taken the fall, either with our jobs or slashed tips.

I can't stand cheating. When I was a 20-something living in St. Pete, there was a league called the County Golf Association that played all over Pinellas/Hillsborough/Pasco counties. Lots of old people, of course, but a fair number of younger players. Very well-run and I was able to play often with my late-night sports writing hours. One day I was paired with a guy with 15 clubs. I noticed it early in the round, we were sharing a cart and I just knew instantly. Maybe it was my old caddie eyes. Anyway, he mouthed off at me later about a drop (that I knew I'd done by the book) and I said "you know you have 15 clubs, right?" He grumbled something like "no one cares" and kept playing. I dashed off a note to the league president when I got home. Don't know whatever became of it, but I couldn't let that slide. At least I was never paired with him again.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

All these "worst nightmare" comments need a #WPP attached, no?

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

220-yard par 3.
    4-iron.
    7-12-1999.

Alma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted