1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethan Hawke vs. Toby Keith

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Toby Keith is pissed off about an anecdote about him in the new Rolling Stone feature on Kris Kristofferson, and I can't say I half blame him. Not sure why the RS editors would let him make a very clear reference to Keith and then not name him. Pretty chicken shit of both Hawke and Ben Fong-Torres or whoever is running things there these days.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/toby-keith/news/keith-livid-about-rolling-stone-story-by-hawke--12176425

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

On one hand, I can't say I blame Keith either. If Hawke didn't want to identify Keith, he either should have made it a lot harder to connect the dots, or he shouldn't have mentioned the incident at all.

On the other hand, I kinda like the thought of Keith getting bitch-slapped by Kristofferson. I also think it's pretty disingenuous of Keith to complain about not being ID'd in the story while simultaneously bitching out the Nashville Tennessean reporter for....ID'ing him in his article. And for having the temerity to ask the great Toby Wan Kenobi about the incident in the first place. You know, like you'd expect a journalist to do.

Other hand wins. FUTK.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

If it's a fight between Ethan Hawke and Toby Keith....Ethan Hawke always wins. Always. ;)

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I read the article today. What stuck out at me is that Keith said "none of that lefty shit" to Kristofferson and then talks about how he's a Democrat during the last election.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought this was the championship game of the Douchebag Tournament.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That kind of stood out to me, too.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I liked Kristofferson's statement. Very classy.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Frickin' citizen journalists.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Except.... the story is from 2003, and Keith has never claimed to be a lefty.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/toby_keith_democrat/

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

Is that put on by the Gazelle Group?

11. Sure, but he knows where his bread is buttered. Keith didn't necessarily tell Kristofferson to button it because it was against his own beliefs, but because he knew that it wouldn't play to his audience.

12. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

The magazine says it stands behind the reporting of Ethan Hawke. Whew! I mean, it's not like he's an actor who is trying his hand at writing or anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted