1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire's Why we cheat

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Biologically, we're not programmed for monogamy.
    Monogamy is a meme (not in the lame, Internet definition but the real definition) that might have outlived its utility.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's a ton of biological urges we get. Doesn't mean it's a good idea to act on them.

3. I'm surprised married men find women to cheat with, honestly. Just seems like so many pieces have to fall into place for an affair to occur: (1) Willing man; (2) Has to figure out that a woman is interested. That was tough enough when we were all on the market. I couldn't even imagine it with the obstacle of having to explain away your status; (3) Both have to then get past their inhibitions and act on it, which would seem to be an enormous step to take for each person, since each knows it's wrong, even if they privately were excited by the idea.

Give me my "boring" life any day.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not saying infidelity is a good or bad idea. I'm addressing the question: Why?

5. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Copious amounts of booze help.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Such a cop-out.

7. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I could easily accept this "running counter to natural instinct" argument, but there are many species of animals that engage in monogamous relationships, if that is the correct terminology. Not only that, but some people's brains are more predisposed to desiring multiple sexual partners at one time than others. Personally, I think people who cheat--especially on spouses or S.O.'s they've been with for many, many years--are weak-willed and untrustworthy, but that's just me.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How is that a cop-out?
    I have a very specific, and weird, idea about monogamy. I don't preach it, but I live it.
    Despite the fact that I am, serially, monogamous, I can understand that monogamy is a cultural, not biological, idea that might have limited use.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I bet some of the most reliable employees are cheaters. And I bet a lot of criminals are monogamous. Personality is so multifaceted; you just can't paint with a broad brush

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just the sales guys.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Monogamy was a huge idea. It helped turn baboons into people.
    +

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I enjoyed reading that. I would like to hear that read out loud by Clive Owen.

Draft saved Draft deleted