1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire's The War Against Youth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 3, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I prefer the "wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." :)

Its all about expectations and standard of living. What defines a decent life? I look at the job opportunities on the Left Coast and think yeah its going to be tough early on, but who says you have to have an iPhone and paying $125/mo. for cellular, plus $100/mo. for the best cable package, a 50" HD flatscreen, a new Honda, and spending $50/wk at Starbucks?

Yes my parents helped me with my college and law school but once I graduated, I was on my own. I had to manage spending vs. income.

I see the kids living at home because they refuse to stoop to a cheap apt., riding the bus/subway, eating cereal in the morning and saving.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To paraphrase a former president, ask not what opportunities are there for you, ask what you can offer.

A 22-year-old with vision can become a billionaire practically overnight thanks to the internet. Tell me that was possible in 1979.

Exactly. Sacrifice and struggling means doing without . . . it doesn't mean being stuck with 3G service instead of 4G.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I specified 'wages,' not 'chances to strike it rich.' Of which there are plenty in every age and every economy, good and bad. Including the 70s.

Bill Gates or Steve Jobs would tell you that tech entrepeneurship could pay out a real jackpot in the mid 1970s, for example.

The broader question a healthy economy and a healthy society need to consider is how do you get the greatest number of people into the greatest number of good jobs?

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I don't think a shortage of billionaires is the problem up for discussion.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the truth of the current economy is reflected in that top 'graf.

And the part I bolded is a considerable contribution to your future.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Plus there are way more MLB, NBA and NFL teams now than there were then, and those guys make a hell of a lot more money. Anyone who wants to be rich should just get one of those jobs.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

iPhones are Ronald Reagan's T-bone steaks for a new generation.

And, as always, I remind: the plural of anecdote is not data. Not even when it's a charming tale of the Protestant work ethic overcoming adversity.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Today's iPhone and Starbucks were yesterday's backpacking in Europe and drinking every night.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They're still drinking every night

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It is tough to find good work, but those with noserings and several visible tattoos should be aware that they are probably going to be stuck in dead-end service jobs if they want to keep their "independent" look.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No doubt; I always say that's the greatest gift my parents gave me.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I graduated college with $1,500 in student loan debt. My wife graduated with $5,000. With all the numbers being thrown around, the attitude we've morphed toward regarding the college education of our children is that if they graduate with $25,000 or less, that's a win. It's a car payment. Of course, if there are no jobs waiting for them, it's an albatross.

Draft saved Draft deleted