1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire's The War Against Youth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Simply recasts the class battle along gerontological lines.

The youth of the 1% are doing just swimmingly.

He buys right into the Faux Noise/Koch Bros/ALEC talking point about Social Security being a "boondoggle," "unsustainable," "broke by 2036," yadda yadda blah blah. The same shit they've been shrieking since 1935. You can't latch onto the Crazy Train and retain any intellectual credibility.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This guy seems seems to have a chip on his shoulder about the "American class system". He had an article in December titled "American Class System" We are Not All Created Equal".
    http://www.esquire.com/features/thousand-words-on-culture/american-class-system-0112

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can think of three. So maybe assume those of us who don't, aren't. :)

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And yet business has never been better. Hmm.

www.economist.com/node/21551485?fsrc=scn/tw/te/ar/marginalimprovement

5. Boom_70

Not making the connection.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I try not to keep track of who does what. It makes me feel slightly less of a saddo. :)

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey, don't short yourself!

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why worry about student loan debt? Seriously, with the income-based and income-contingent repayment plans, individual borrowers could alleviate much of their problems if they just educate themselves. Those with private student loans are screwed, though.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Part of the premise of the piece is that the young confront a 'bad economy.'

"Everyone currently emerging into the workplace will be economically scarred for life by the misfortune of their timing. The initial wage loss for a worker emerging in a bad economy is 6 to 7 percent for every 1 percentage point increase in the unemployment rate, which means a twenty-one-year-old starting a job today makes about 24 percent less than he or she would have five years ago. After fifteen years, even during the good times, the wage loss still hovers at around 2.5 percent."

And yet corporate profit margins - at least according to The Economist - are higher than they've been in 65 years.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For some reason, I'm more troubled by the trend of kids living at home. I don't plan to finance my kids' 20s, but if a couch and loveseat set gets them into an apartment, then a couch and loveseat set I shall confer. I have a pair of cousins, a brother and sister, both in their 30s still living at home with their parents. Every holiday, I get to hear the guy drone on about every cool new gadget and toy he's bought. On Facebook, I get to read about her weekly drinking escapades.

To each his own, I suppose, but the expectation in my home, sad as it will be when that day comes, will be to strike out on your own.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To me it's a bargain you strike, at least that's how I plan to approach it.

I'll help you out if you meet me halfway. Get into school. Get the grades. Work hard and at least try to earn gainful employment. Show me you deserve a little nudge. I know that "help" from parents can quickly breed complacency in their adult children, and I'd like to avoid that. It's a thin line.

12. Boom_70

I think if I were just starting out it would be an exciting time. It's all about the decisions you make.
    Interest rates are low and real estate market is cheap. Home ownership is more affordable than it was 5- 10 years ago. Also think it's a good time to invest in stock market.

Again all about the decisions you make, but someone 23/24 with a decent job who invests wisely will be in great shape by the time they are 50.

Draft saved Draft deleted