1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire's "most gripping story you will read this year."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cool. My wife just calls it the shit I leave on the bathmat.

No wonder they hit it off so famously at the Nats games.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am very much looking forward to reading the story. Esquire is one of my favorites and I'm way out of the demographic, being a woman and all. Good luck with the surgery, Jones.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I got my issue in the mail today and just finished reading it. Great fucking work, Jones.

Though I did check out the Jessica Simpson pics before reading your story.

The story on Don Wildman was good, too.

5. The last super-massive Esquire story I saw was C.J. Chivers' 18,000-word-ish narrative re-creation of the Beslan massacre...and that was one of the best stories I've ever read, and I read it in one sitting, and I know a few others who did, too. So: if it's as nearly as gripping as the cover-makers say, Jones, people will read it. Your modesty is refreshing, but don't let yourself believe that you're writing for the people on the New York-Shanghai flight.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Chivers's story was fantastic.
    The B&N in my burg is still selling the Clooney cover Esquire.
    I, for one, can't wait to read Jones's story.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Fortunately, Esquire is written not just for the well-off, but also for those of us who dig great writing. And, really, a subscription is like $10 a year.
    If this is the story that "just about felled" Mr. Jones, I can't fucking wait.

8. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

I'm an Esquire subscriber. I just finished reading Jones' story, so I'm still on the come-down... but man-oh-my-God.

One of the best things I've ever read.

I'm a big fan of The Things They Carried... one of my all-time favorite reads... and I thought the parallelism between that and the title of Jones' piece was fantastic.

I read the Stories that Broke You thread, and when I realized this was "that story" it made me anxious to read it... did it all in one sitting.

Great fucking work.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Thanks guys, very much. I actually lost it on the radio yesterday, talking about it -- they had fathers of dead soldiers calling in, guys who had worked funeral detail -- and Jesus, the cracks you could hear in their voices, the pain of it... There's no way to insulate yourself from that. It's just been a heavy stretch. The kind words are appreciated.

10. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Link to the NPR interview:

www.npr.org/blogs/talk/2008/04/honorable_transfers_1.html#commentSection

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good luck, Jones. Maybe we can get together afterward for a stack of pancreas.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Jones, did you channel the grave-digging story about JFK for this one? The lede reads similar. Tremendous work though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.