1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire's July issue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 3, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In today's mailbox, the July issue of Esquire.
    Haven't dug deep into it, but a nice story from Charlie Pierce.

The layout (is it a redesign?) for the entire issue is confusing.

2. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

The story where the guy applied for 300 jobs and had no luck was pretty telling of how things are to most of us right now.

And holy balls, the Stephen King piece was pretty fucked up.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I usually try to stretch Esquire out over a month, make it last until the next one gets here. I couldn't do it with this one. Everything in there was a must-read. And there was Bar Rafaeli. The piece about the Mexican hit men was thoroughly engrossing. And yes, SK is FUBAR. But then we all knew this. He's turned a personality disorder into a pretty good living.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who apparently is on the market, Leo DiCrappio having tired of her, reportedly.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Read the Pierce story. It's a bit disjointed but you have to give him credit- he obviously has not completely gone into the tank for Obama. like much of the liberal media. It's sounds like he is still not convinced.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

This month, The Jones endorses drinking beer in a can. Notwithstanding his point that a beer can also is used as a bong, I must disagree. You let me down, Jonesie.

Otherwise, this is the best read out there. Period.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You're talking about how the stories flow into each other? Yeah, I didn't like it either.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I bagged Esquire a few years ago and thought I would miss it. It seemed to me like they were getting away from solid writing and moving more towards Maxim. Is it worth checking out again? I am more a "Family Handyman" guy now. Getting old sucks.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Still plenty of excellent writing, Carlton. I'm getting fairly old, too, but Esquire is still one of my favorites. I haven't read this issue yet.

It's not remotely like Maxim, which I invariably pick up once a year when I'm suckered in by the cover, only to find it completely unreadable.

10. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Great read most months, this included. Bar photos/story are compelling. Format change is minimally distrurbing. Good stuff here. Must read for me, cover to cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted