1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire writer vs. "The Whore of Akron"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 17, 2010.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Indirectly related: The St. Petersburg Times did a piece this morning on the other guy who left Cleveland in the deal.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1135241.ece

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was an outstanding read. Michael Kruse has been doing good, good stuff for a long time.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Doyel and Raab, apparently bored out of their minds tonight, are having a Twitter catfight.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It is comical to watch. But it's also sad to see two talented guys stooping to playground taunts.

And since his Google Alert just pinged - Hi Gregg!

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's not even on the top 10 of insulting Twitter posts Doyel's made. Plus, add in the fact Raab apparently has no idea how to reply to people, and it was all much ado about nothing.

Pass.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Initially, I thought this would be about Ilgauskas. I enjoyed the read, and follow Brian's work, but is there actually an audience for a story like this? I'm not trying to be rude, but does anyone care?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think so. This is one part of the LeBron saga few know about except Clevelanders and media junkies like us. Not a big part, obviously, but the kind of story a good paper will take a chance with. Typical St. Pete (and that's a compliment).

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I know Doyel has done much worse. Today's effort was C-grade for him. He really didn't have his heart in this one.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It was a weak effort on both sides. The 140-character limit makes using the good words a little tougher, I guess.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He tried to move up too many weight classes. Cost him his punching power.

11. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

This.

It's absolutely amazing that a very small minority of writers think Twitter gives them some sort of leeway to act like a sophomore boy scrawling profanity on the bathroom wall and snickering about it with their friends.

Raab is responsibile for this. Period. He looks like a complete and total clown, and no one - NO ONE - here would be defending his behavior if worked for Rivals or a small blog instead of Esquire.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It just gets better and better.

Draft saved Draft deleted