1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire writer vs. "The Whore of Akron"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Raab is satirizing Cleveland sports fans' reaction to LeBron leaving, no? At least that's part of the schtick?

I mean, WTF? The rule is now that everyone either has to write the same or lose their credential?

I'd expect a tight-ass SID to think that way. I'm shocked that journalists would be in favor of him losing his credential. Alma and cranberry, please expand.

P.S. Yeah, yeah. I'm the one who wouldn't have named the high school kicker. We're all a bundle of contradictions.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What's funny to me is Raab is a pretty damn good writer, and we could post some of that pretty damn good writing to prove it, but we'd rather wring our hands over his poor choice of an overused phrase on a stinkin <i>Twitter account</i> as evidence of his virtues.

And I think plenty about talented journalists - especially some of the online variety - who get shafted out of credentials for sporting events so the intern at the big metro can slurp soda, keep book and write two notes, or the "media staff" can sit their fat asses down on media row and text on their phones in between their single, solitary job of handing out stats after each quarter.

That, to me, is a far bigger and more interesting problem than a guy who has the time, money and inclination to get a credential at any of the other arenas LeBron James might play at - or just buy a ticket, where I suspect he can make many of the same observations he would have made from press row.

Now, Raab the journalist? Damn good writer. But Esquire, I suspect, can take care of Esquire.

3. Dick Whitman

This post does nothing to address the fact that he was credentialed before the turn of phrase, but not after. Seems like you don't think he should have been credentialed to begin with. But that's a separate argument.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

His Tweets were stupid and completely unprofessional and I have no remorse for him losing his credential.

5. Dick Whitman

It was satire.

Is everyone required to write like a boring ass beat writer?

Is Jon Stewart unprofessional because he doesn't read the news like Ted Koppel?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm saying that a guy losing his credential for calling LeBron James a "whore" doesn't, from a journalistic perspective, keep me up at night.

Speaking of separate arguments, let's talk about the actor, Jon Stewart.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they made a nationwide production out of leaving Cleveland, coquettishly hinting up until the very last second they were coming back (even though the actual decision had been made long, long before) before triumphantly shoving their metaphorical schlongs in the area's face, then yes, it would be highly disingenuous.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So is Raab a comedian, or a journalist?
    Would you credential Jerry Seinfeld?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You could drive the Fourth Army through this opening.

But I'll leave it to others to have the pleasure.

10. Dick Whitman

He's a journalist.

Just because he doesn't write in the 1972 "inverted pyramid" style doesn't make him any less of one.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I think some of those posts went beyond the bounds of satire. If it was satire, he didn't do a good job with it. Seemed unprofessional to me.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure. He's a journalist. No one's stopping him from being a journalist. He can journalize all he wants without the assistance of the Miami Heat. And somehow I don't think acting like an asshole 140 characters at a time on Twitter is going to become the new new journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted