1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire vs. GQ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think you'd find some objection to Esquire or GQ being stocked with the best writers in the business. Or best writing. Two separate things.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The New Yorker is the gold standard of magazines. Their stable of writers is second to none.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I guess you did not like the Oprah subscription I got you.

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Every time I think about ditching my Esquire subscription, two or three issues in a row will feature some incredible writing and I'll remember why I signed up in the first place.

I like GQ, but it doesn't blow me away from time to time like Esquire does.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Would this be the March GQ? I don't subscribe but I will search out the issue for this.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Yes, the March issue with Kobe on the cover.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This is my sentiment exactly. I know they have to pay the bills, and I know that there is interest in the male fashion stuff. But 50 pages of it before you can even find the table of contents annoys me every time. If I want the fashion stuff, I know I can get it in Esquire. There is plenty of other stuff in there to keep my attention, though, and it seldom disappoints.

8. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I get Esquire at 90% c/o my employer. So I prefer them, obviously.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Something 21 said piqued my curiousity. Why do you think it is that there are quality mags like Esquire and GQ out there for guys with nothing equivalent for women? Is there an antiquated sense of what women want permeating the industry?

I wonder, too, if part of the problem is the fact women can pull of a "guy" story better than most guys can pull of a "women's" story. Lisa Taddeo comes to mind. That said, there are a number of features in Esquire that seem more than capable of appearing in a women's read. Take away the pictures (NO!) of Kate Beckinsale in a recent issue and it seems to me that story would have worked for women, too.

Of course, I could be speaking out of my ass.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I don't think the Ebert story can be pigeonholed as a "guy" story. Am I missing something?

11. BRoth

BRoth Member

I've subscribed to both for years, but mostly for different reasons.

I enjoy the fashion aspect of GQ, despite the fact it's all far beyond what my price range will ever be. Once in a blue moon, they'll have a quality article I'll care to read. If I wanted to, I could spend 30 minutes and be done with it.

I get Esquire first and foremost because I love the writing, no matter what it is. Even after I'm done reading it, I'll usually keep it around until the next issue comes if I want to pick it up again. Some of the articles/briefs can be silly or useless, but I still enjoy reading it.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not a 'guy' story at all. But you wouldn't find it in a 'women's' magazine.

Draft saved Draft deleted