1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire: The Drugging of American Boys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

I had a kid diagnosed by an immature kindergarten teacher in her first year...well, recommended to a clinic by this immature kindergarten teacher.

I never was in favor of it. I wanted to emphasize structure.

Over the years I saw a struggle until he had his pill. We got additional experts to confirm this diagnosis and he continues today on that med.

It's made a difference.

But I fear what happens later, or if he should get off of it, or outgrow it. I've heard direct stories from parents/kids who fell into other drug addition when weaned off this stuff.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't have a TV, and my kids' screen time is extremely limited (maybe 10-15 minutes 3 times a week) & my oldest was diagnosed with ADHD. So far we have resisted suggestions to medicate because he's come a long way with better teachers this year. I've been more reluctant than my wife to medicate.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I would think so, but I'm not a doctor.

4. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Uh -- she doesn't exactly have the power to diagnose, prescribe or administer. So don't don't you think getting her fired is a bit of an overreaction? Unless there are other reasons she wasn't offered a contract.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's the way your mind is wired. Some children need sped up, some need slowed down.

And the worst expression ever is "boys will be boys."

If you take 100 boys, 60-70 will be fine students. It's the other 30-40 whose parents "allow them to be boys" is the biggest problem. It's an excuse.

Sure, ADD and ADHD can be a problem, but that is a very small percentage of all boys.

Draft saved Draft deleted