1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire story on Todd Marinovich

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 16, 2009.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

They all got laid off.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

On the first day of my new job I brought in doughnuts.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Once agian...

[​IMG]

The whole arch of the story builds toward what you think will be redemption, Todd finding a better place and realizing he has only himself to blame for his demons, but in the end, it's just more sad despair. He still thinks it's hereditary, or whether he's lying to himself or lying to the writer. The ending is ambiguous for a reason. There are no lessons here, no attempt to excuse or spin a happy ending. Just a long silence of Marinovich staring out the window as California goes by.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

This is a helluva story.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Outstanding story. Hoping for the best, one would hope that turning himself in after that relapse is a good sign. But one never knows with drugs and addicts.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've always been on the fence about legalizing drugs and when it comes to heroin, cocaine and meth, I'm against it. But when somebody seems as hell-bent on wrecking his life that jail or the threat of jail can keep him clean, what's the point of locking him up?

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Keeps them from hurting innocent people, for one thing. Behind the wheel of a car, for instance, or committing robberies and thefts to finance their addictions. Very often a junkie's own life isn't the only one he wrecks.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

And it keeps them from, um, doing drugs.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Obviously not for long.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Well, as long as he's locked up. But I agree it's not really much of a deterrent. The addiction is definitely more powerful than the threat of getting arrested.

11. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

At the moment, Marv is sitting at the back of the Chiefs gathering, resting his bum knee, eating an organic apple. Nearly seventy, he has bull shoulders and a nimbus of curly gray hair. His own pale-blue eyes are focused intently on his son's performance, as they have been from day one.

One of the worst things I've ever read.

That asshole never learned how to love a son.

12. Not necessarily. They don't do it because drugs are illegal. They do it as a means to obtain the money to buy drugs.
    Legal drugs would be cheaper, yes, but there would still be people in this world who lack the money to purchsas them.

Draft saved Draft deleted