1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire story on Todd Marinovich

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yes, but did Sager spill his venti mochachino in Marinovich's car? [/crossthreading]

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I agree that Marv is more interesting. At this point, Todd is just another boring junkie. Not only does Marv have to deal with Todd, but Mikhail is making more news at Syracuse by getting arrested and opening a hookah bar. What's interesting to me in the story is that for all the assumptions that Todd rebelled because his father was so controlling in making him a robo-QB, it also looks like Marv gave him too much rope in other cases. For example, letting his son as a freshman go out partying and drinking with the upperclassmen on the high school team.

3. That was my take.. not so much the drive to provide the perfect training grounds to make an athlete - BTW Marv is working with Troy Polamalu - but that he gave him more rope than a parent should. The party his ninth grade year was a perfect example.
    Then again, maybe Todd was also, consciously or sub, rebelling.. Not junk food, no sugar, he had to take carrots to kids' birthday parties. His mom had to sneak him to McDonald's

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

not really,

I didn't read the whole thing; I skimmed over the front page, saw the account of Todd "mentoring the youth," skipped to the last page, and in the transition to conclusion, here we are:

We don't need to hear how fuckups like Todd Marinovich say they're "finished with drugs."

And yes, any parent of any person under 18 who allows their kid to even be in the same room as Todd Marinovich should be immediately turned in to Social Services.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And if you read the article he's clearly not done with drugs. It's a very well-done article by a terrific writer. It's a shame you're too worldly and wise to actually read it.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yes, shortly after he said he's finished with drugs, he turns himself in after relapsing, blaming the deaths of two family members. Agree with you Starman on parents who let him teach their kids. There's a passage in there somewhere about him wanting to get the felonies sealed so he can work at public schools. I'm thinking, who the hell would hire this guy? But someone probably would. Anyone who hires him, signs him or whatever at this point is just asking for trouble. I'm all for second chances, but this would be about his 15th chance.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Apparently Mandarich cost Starman some money somewhere along the way......

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Wrong bust, DoubleJ! ;D Marinovich.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Not a bad story but a damn shame he keeps going back to the well.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

DOH!

Apparently I have a hard time keeping straight my Croatian-descended druggie football busts with the initials T.M. :D

11. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

And since there's a Mandarich thread going simultaneously, with an identical Starman quote, I can understand the confusion.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's exactly what happened. Oops!

Damn copy editors shoulda caught it..... ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted