1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire story on Todd Marinovich

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm not exactly sure I understand the logic here.
    Yes, Marinovich was hyped in recruiting ... and he had a successful career at SC.
    Yes, Marinovich was a first-round pick, which "hypers" mostly mocked ... so, in a sense, the hype machine was right. It was a terrible pick.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, by the way: A group of parents that would let a loser like this so close to their kids deserves whatever hell those kids put them through as teenagers a few years down the road.
    I don't get why people think these back-from-the-edge horror stories are a deterrent.
    Kids look the guy now and think, "He did all those drugs, and he's still here. Guess it can't be that bad!"

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Dude was an NFL QB who now spends his time riding around on his bike by his dad's house looking for a fix. I don't think the kids are going to see him as all that cool. He's pretty pathetic.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I admit my eyes were drawn to the story link in the right-hand column:

How to Find Her G-Spot 2.0By Stacey Grenrock Woods
    I heard there's a place in a woman's vagina called the cul-de-sac that's even better than the G-spot. How do I find it?

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Her shtick annoys me. I find her neither funny nor informative.

6. I've said this once, I'll say it a million times.

The recruiting rankings and NFL Draft rankings aren't absolutely perfect. So what? That doesn't make them useless. I yanked a study one time of Rivals.com's predictive ability. It was a lot better than you would think. Just because there are some flops doesn't make the whole endeavor "idiotic."

It's not a "crapshoot."

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The article was a good read.
    Lots of details for a guy I always found kind of fascinating and the writer seemed to have an amazing amount of access.
    It seemed like that it was Sager and Marinovich just out cruising around.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I always wonder if she would have that gig if her name was Sue Smith instead of "Stacey Grenrock Woods."

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

The end was pretty sad. It's like he doesn't really see the impact his father has had on him. Maybe it's a dependence kind of thing. I don't know.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Double Down's still annoyed that she mocked his Peyronie's disease.

http://www.esquire.com/women/sex/ESQ0803-AUG_SEX?click=main_sr

11. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Read the story today and thought it was very good overall, with a tremendous amount of detail. Lots of solid reporting and he obviously had a lot of access. I thought the second half was much better ... the first part detailing his Pee Wee/High School years skipped around way too much, and I found it really hard to follow.

I also have grown very tired of Stacy Grenrock Woods' schtick. She's funny at times, but often just comes across as mean and condescending.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Good piece, but I've always thought Marv would be the more interesting story, and I wish there had been more from him in this one. We've read about athletes turned addicts before, but not so much about dads who so fucked up their son's childhood that they helped ruin the kid's life.

Draft saved Draft deleted