1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire piece on Jon Huntsman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Some of the criticism Huntsman has received has centered around how few events he's been doing.

Lots of days with no campaign appearances and others with just one.

Not really what's predicted in the Jones piece:

You've got to think Esquire expected him to be doing better when they assigned the piece. Right now, it's as relevant as a profile on Herman Cain.

And, it's a stretch to call Romney his principle opposition. Romney might be the one to beat, but Huntsman needs to pass several candidates in the standings before he's Romney's principal opposition.

2. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

You have to wonder what the desired endgame is for him. He'll certainly never be on the ticket.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nope. A Mormon n the top of the ticket will/would be tough.

No one is going to put one in the number two spot.

He's already rich, so he doesn't need the campaign to build a career like Huckabee or Palin.

He's already been a Governor, so no point running for another office.

His best bet is to be a strong second place finisher and be "next in line" in '16, but I don't see that happening either.

4. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Could be he's going for the reasonable adult/statesman (Bob Dole) role in the party.

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I was a little shocked he ran this time, but looking at it now, I think he's advertising for a run in 2016.

Get his name out there a little -- folks haven't heard of him. Buy some media, get plenty more free. And stay above the fray. Hope his party has come around a bit by the time he's got a real shot in 2016.

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

For the good of the nation, I wish you were right.

But he's got no chance.

However, in five years, if the Bachmann/Palin/Santorum contingent have burned themselves out, and Mitt's a two-time loser... Then he might have something.

You have to figure someone like Marco Rubio is gonna throw his hat into the ring on that one, too.

Worst thing that could happen to him is Mittens actually getting elected.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, Jonesy, was a good topic for a few hours. Then came the Fugitive-style trainwreck.

EF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.