1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire: Mila Kunis is the Sexiest Woman Alive

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 6, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

How does naming a kid Mila saddle it with appearance issues? You think an infant has any clue who who Kunis is? (I don't.) She will likely be redundant by the time the namesakes hit kindergarten.

I know one Mila. Her parents named her after Milla Jovovich. The kid is 2 now and unimpressed with Jovovich's work.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Yeah, because age two is when this kind of shit manifests. A lot of kids can't even pronounce their own name correctly at that age.

How do you think a 12 year old Farrah felt in 1988? And as far as 2011 Mila, I guess someone really loved the Fifth Element, but didn't take those 15 years to learn how to spell the name.

So maybe you named your kid Mila. There were worse choices available, but you still picked a trendy name bound to be dated by the time your kid is into adulthood. Congratulations on living in the land of freedom.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OMG, every name is trendy. Do you know any Marions or Violas being born right now? Because that was my grandmother and her best friend. My mom is Dawn ... haven't met another one under 30. My dad is Raymond. Don't see many of those on the playground.

I never looked at the Cindy in my class and expected her to look like Crawford.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Yes, this is the great danger in baby names. Any baby named something ending in -den during the 2000s-present (Hayden, Jaden, Kayden, etc.), or anything ending in -son (Madison, Addison, Mason, etc.) will be every bit as frustrated with their name as the Elizabeths of the 1980s were.

It is my personal belief that responsible parents study the data and give their kid a name that won't frustrate them later in life. It doesn't take much time, just a cursory analysis of the US Census top 1,000 baby names records for a few decades.

Regardless, I welcome comments from the floor from anyone who named their kid Nevaeh and really thinks it was a boss idea.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love that you honestly think a name like Elizabeth "frustrated" someone.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So which name is worse: Apple or Gwyneth?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You might be more neurotic than me. Cheers.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It was much easier when you had to be named after a Saint, or someone mentioned in the Bible.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

"Saint" is banned in New Zealand.

http://www.today.com/moms/18-u-s-baby-names-are-banned-new-zealand-6C9768805

On trendy names ... I'd like one. I have never, ever known anyone with my name. As a kid, traveling with my family, we'd stop at Stuckey's. I'd look at all those little license tags and other crap you could get personalized.

My mom would say, "If you can find one with your name, I'll buy it for you."

The three siblings have "regular" names, but I wouldn't consider any of them trendy. Off hand, I can't think of any other people I know with their names, but I can't think of a single Walter I know, either, and he can still get a personalized licence tag.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

my grandmother and her sister, both born a decade before WWI, Anne and Sophie. I would have sworn when I was a kid that there would never be another Sophie, but plenty of Anne's. other way around now. We know about 4 Sophie's between 5 & 19. And no Anne's.

Draft saved Draft deleted