1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire article: "I miss Iraq. I miss my gun. I miss my war"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Not to speak to early, but Brian Mockenhaupt seems like a candidate for this war's Tim O'Brien. We'll see what else he produces, but this essay is very powerful. It's not anti-war. It's not pro-war. It recognizes how psychologically complex the experience is, scarring and nourishing at the same time.

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2006/070206_mfe_March_07_Essay.html

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That was a great article. It was the first one I read when the issue arrived in the mail.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Better, much better, than the crap from people who denounce it.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I may not miss all the shooting and killing but I certainly have something I miss about being overseas working for my country. I will alway have this part of me that is haunting but yet inspiring. I do not know how to explain it to some one who thinks the military is unnecessary let alone to some one who does not believe in the Iraq war.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Preach on, brother. Damn Gators.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

As Hannity might say, "You're an American hero. We salute you."

Guys like Fen and zeke just need to drop their jealousy of what it means to be hannitized. LMAO!!!!

7. indiansnetwork

I am no hero, I just did my job that I signed up to do when I had to do it. I can't wait till the tourney starts so maybe just maybe my boys can get revenge on those Gators. Hannity give the straight talk with out the bombastic voice and overtones that Rush does but I still love listening to Rush. I love how Rush silences those liberals with bleeding hearts.

8. indiansnetwork

Secondly I would like to point out that this article is the most well written piece I have ever seen on what it is like to be a solider. I still miss my number 12 m-16 because of the security it gave me and the knowledge of how it saved my life and my fellow soldiers lives and how it would destroy the enemy.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let me be the first to call bullshit.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

On the article?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

No, absolutely not the article.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll second that.