1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPY's thread, spoiler link

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jul 13, 2006.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Lance's monologue is certainly a reason to watch the ESPYs.

Very well done.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I hear Clayton is only critiquing hairstyles.

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

OK, it's either watch the edited version of "Swordfish" (an already suck-ass movie, save for the "scene" with Halle Berry), or have the ESPYs on while I work around the house.

A few thoughts -
    *Nice to see the lovely Ashley Judd in the crowd
    *I could do with less shots of Carmen Electra (does absolutely nothing for me)
    * Sanaa Lathan looked very fine as usual, but totally disinterested
    *Nice story about the New Orleans hoops team

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I can't believe anyone is watching this.

Rise against the dying of the light!

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I thought this would be an appropriate thread to link to the only good video ever to come out of the ESPYs. If you can watch Jimmy V's speech in its entirety and still have a dry eye, you are not of this world.

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Oh, I completely want to vomit at ESPN's self-congratulatory, aren't-we-cool, fake-ass hip attitude they have about this "show"

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I know it's not very cool to give ESPN props for anything, but I gotta say that the Afghanistan women's soccer thing was pretty good. That's the only part of the show I caught, so I can't vouch for the rest of the night. But that part was well done.

Just giving credit where it's due. That's all.

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Agreed. Plus, the presenter made it extra good. ;D

9. flanders

flanders Member

big ben NOT getting a standing O -- espn must have thoght people would stand, applaud, weep, as if he heroically made it back from stomach cancer -- when he joined his teamates on stage was priceless. an extremely anti-climactic climax to the show, they totally misjudged that one. but i do give him props for at least saying that j-mac, not he, was deserving of applause.

Draft saved Draft deleted