1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPY VOTING OPEN: These are the nominees?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 27, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just finished going through the ballot for the ESPYs and I can only say this, must have been a crappy year in sports. A lot of less than stellar performances are nominated, and the rest are shall we say unimpressive. Arizona softball pitcher Taryn Mowatt (fixed) was nominated for female athlete of the year. I'm not saying she wasn't impressive, I just can't believe there weren't five other females that were better.

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

Ahem, Taryne Mowatt.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Mowatt is hot and she's blonde. Therefore, I don't have a problem with her being nominated. (Ducking)

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The time it took me to make this post was way too much time thinking about the stupid ESPYs.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I can't think of any way of saying this without coming off as being cruel and mean-spirited which is not my intention, so here goes nothing.

I have to vent because ESPN's shameless cross promotion of all things Disney has reached a new low.

Can someone explain why I, as a sports fan, want to watch the nightly "sick kid meets his idol" report that is currently going on Sportscenter? One of these stories might be remotely interesting - though not really -- but a whole week of this stuff?

Yes, they are nice little sappy stories, and human interest (IN SMALL DOSES) is part of what we do, but these stories belong on Oprah or Maury, not on a friggin sports highlights show.

And what makes me even more angry about it is ESPN's only purpose for airing them is to promote Disney's contributions to Make A Wish.

It is shameful and disgraceful and frankly publicity stunts like this are a big reason I usually stick to watching FSN's nightly report (1/2 hour of highlights so not much time for bullshit) or ESPN News when I want to get the scores. I used to love sportscenter, now I hardly watch it and nearly every time I do I find yet another reason to tune it out.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

If you want straight news turn to ESPN News, what's the big deal?

8. DanOregon

I hate to say it - but if you've seen one of these stories, you've seen them all.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Bingo. That's a big part of my point.

I feel bad for these kid and their families, I really do, but give me a break already will you.

How many times can you write/air a story that goes "Joey was normal, we then found out he had a heart problem, we were devastated, he needs a transplant, while he waits the thing that keeps him happy is baseball, make a wish made it possible to go to the park and hang out with his favorite player, now he's happy, it was a special day and his favorite player is really a swell guy....." before it loses that man bites dog effect?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

zagoshe, I agree with you that this is nothing more than another way to promote Disney, which is really reprehensible when you're talking about sick kids. Just let them have their wish in peace without patting yourself on the back for it.

That said, I will not lie: It was incredibly moving when the girl in Seattle who had brain cancer (I believe) saw her best friend--who had moved thousands of miles away--come running out of the bullpen at Safeco Field to surprise her during her Make-A-Wish day at Safeco Field. It puts a lump in my throat just thinking of her hugging him and dropping her head on his shoulders. She died a few months ago.

11. DanOregon

I teared up too on that one.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Espys: Most pointless awards show ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted