1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

espnW

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Sep 30, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK, let's keep the repeated female wisecracks off here. A couple have been removed.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My mom watches every Tiger game every year. I know for a fact she has never watched a women's softball game. At least not in my lifetime.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is what I want to see...

2011 Who's Now in women's sports

Hosted by Colin Cowherd

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has the Fabulous Sports Babe been hired yet?

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Will they have a Classic Game of the Week hosted by Jason Sudekis and Will Forte?

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

+5. I wish Cheap Seats was still on.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude is a huge sports fan, and she has little or no interest in the WNBA or college softball. Because the stakes don't really matter, and that's no fault of the athletes, the institutions or the leagues.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

When you have a bungle down there in your jungle... VAGISIL! (God, I miss that sketch. One of the bad things about Will leaving SNL.)

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

From another perspective, this is a potential gold mine for those who are in journalism academia and have gender issues as part of their research focus.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

It's not just going to be covering women's sports, and it's not not a television channel right now, just a blog.

As for it keeping women's coverage segregated -- there's little to segregate these days, and stuff on the web doesn't work like that. It's not like a store you have to drive to. People will link to or mock good or bad stories.

There are a ton of stories where it will work to create and aggregate content of interest to a female fan.

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Initial reaction: I like the "games we're watching" capsules and the "what to do near you" list, which sort of touches on what 21 was getting at. Quick, clean link list on the left is nice.

Design isn't bad, but they must assume all women are blind with the font size of the headlines. And if you have to tell your audience who they are, that's kinda fail.

Looking at the staff list, on one hand I'm a little disappointed with the "women must write for women" approach. But on the other hand, that provides more opportunities for women in the business. That said, having the token male as the head of technology gives off a "math class is hard!" vibe. Surely there's a qualified female programmer out there?

Haven't read the posts yet, so I reserve judgment on the quality of the content.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So...male writers, and female tech head? OK. Got it.

Draft saved Draft deleted