1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

espnW

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Sep 30, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I still can't figure out what this is going to be, but apparently espn is going after the female market with a blog and maybe a tv channel for women.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2010-09-30-espnW-baseball-tv-playoffs_N.htm?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomSports-TopStories+%28Sports+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter

Speaking as part of the target audience, I am wildly turned off by anything that segregates women from the general sports audience. I'm guessing this new venture will give more space to sports/events/topics that don't appeal to the mainstream male audience, which I suppose is a good thing...or way too 'empowering' in a condescending way.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am women hear me roar.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

All this time I thought you were a guy.

Thoughts on the National Spelling Bee?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

ESPNzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5. mb

mb Active Member

Wait a second. Does this mean they would farm all the WNBA and women's college basketball onto that channel? Exxxxxxxxxcelllllllllllent.

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

This could be the vehicle in which ESPN says buh-bye to ESPN Classic.....

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If this means less gymnastics and figure skating during Olympic broadcasts I'm all for it.

8. Won't happen. Those are the two most-watched events of the Summer Games. Nothing else even close.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In typical ESPN fashion, it will be on mainstream cable because they want it.
    I agree with 21 -- it's segregation

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Obviously ESPN is hoping to capture some of the success of Sports Illustrated Women.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Truth hurts.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hope it's just as awesome and non-condescending as those "Football 101" classes teams offer for women, where they're like "This is a football! These are guys! They wear tight pants and run around!"

Also, if at any point it involves a pink jersey, I will wish death upon it. I love pink as much or more than anyone else...but Christ. Wear the team colors if you're going to support the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted