1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPNU gay comment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jan 3, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was an oldie . . . but a goodie.

I think Idaho came on here bragging because his 14th child grew a tooth or something.

And someone took offense at the proud parent and called children nothing more than fuck trophies.

Or something like that.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You talking to me?

I don't get offended by anything. NOTHING. Call me anything you want, I don't care. I certainly don't want any twerps from SportsJournalists.com "educating" me if I don't get offended by "that's so gay". Fuck you.

And like I said, I think it's great comedy when Sportschick and Cadet get offended when someone doesn't get offended by "that's so gay".... and have no problem throwing around a term like "fuck trophy". Can you get any more hypocritical?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Are you sure that wasn't 14th wife, BTE?

And Poin, that wasn't the point. Something tells me you're part of a group that doesn't get slurred, as admittedly I am, too, so what you're saying is moot. What you're asserting is a right to say anything without anyone doing anything other than "aw shucks, that was a funny." I'm not seeing that as true.

And "fuck trophy" is the reddest of red herrings to this discussion.

4. I see where you're coming from Poin, but your example comparing gay to fuck trophy is skewed, unless you think kids need to start an organization to prevent from routinely having their civil rights violated and being discriminated against for being kids. Fuck trophy power!

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That was the point of my story: I learned how offensive that "innocent" phrase was, and I took it out of my regular slang. At that time, I never was friends with a gay person and didn't think of how "that's so gay" would offend anyone, because, to me, it was said with no intent. It took Joe pointing that out to me to shine a light in my face. Now I don't say it.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Is this the trophy of which you speak?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Dude, you don't want to be Mike. It's no fun. Sure, you save some money on dates -- or prostitutes -- but you begin to chafe.

8. dooley_womack1

At least in that pic, appears to be leaning toward a suck trophy.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fuck trophy is not a red herring. It shows the complete hypocrisy of board members who slur the shit that they are against - yet pick on a guy FOR NOT GETTING OFFENDED BY "THAT'S SO GAY".

I don't give a shit about "that's so gay". I don't give a shit about "fuck trophies" or anything else. But I draw the line when board posters feel they have to educate other board posters when said posters don't get offended.

Again, I will say it: Fuck you, don't tell me what I should feel or need to feel.

And that pic is the greatest of all time. God, I wish she'd win another tournament.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Frankly, my original point was this, and I still stand behind it.

WHATEVER the issue, I'm getting sick and tired of us shouting down new posters to the extent of "shooing them away." This smacks of "old boys club," and it's more than a little bit distasteful.

I've been guilty of it myself, and I plan not to be anymore. I hope others follow.

However, with you being one of the vets, I feel no remorse in chuckling at that misconception. :)

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

IIRC, the term "fuck trophy" is a phrase that started in the gay community to disparage the children of heteros,.....someone posted a link to a story about the term.

12. dooley_womack1

So if you started calling black people "coons," we should just STFU, because we don't have a right to tell you what to think or feel? An extreme example, but just curious how much of an island you think each individual is.

And again, tell me how "fuck trophy" is a slur in any way parallel to an anti-gay remark.

And shot....HELMETS!

Draft saved Draft deleted