1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPNU gay comment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jan 3, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think everyone needs to get laid a little more often by whichever sex they prefer.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't want it to be a bitch someone down until they don't post here ever again. I think that'd be the worst thing possible. I just want others to think of what some people go through and why they might feel a certain way.

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Second.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Boy, I see whatever I say here, will be attacked...so good luck with life!

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I can see how one might get that feeling.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I think most people around here, on pretty much every topic and from every side of the political/social spectrum, need to be reminded that what other people think and feel is valid. Just because you can anonymously browbeat and pile on someone doesn't mean it's right.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd have to think about that one, ER. I really don't think, at least on the surface, there's something that can offend me. I might not joke about something -- like rape -- if I'm in the presence of someone who's been raped, but it doesn't offend me.

I think I've got a very accommodating and loose sense of humor. That doesn't mean I can't find the offense in something and stay away from it. But it would take an awful lot -- and I don't know what -- to get me angry over some words.

There's no excuse for making any disparaging remark on or in a media stream.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And I think 'beetus saying it is an offensive thing is something that most people on here need to hear. Most of us don't spend a lot of time around people who are out, and, let's be honest, mocking gays is still okay in most circles.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, sc. That's just it. People DON'T "need" to hear it. We need to live and let live a little bit more, that's what we need to do.

If you and Diabeetus are offended, that's fine. And if somebody thinks it's just a dumb joke and doesn't get their back up about it, that's fine, too.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I vehemently disagree with you. I think that mocking people for any reason is bullshit, and yes, I think you need to hear that.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And the argument could easily be made that "That's kinda gay" isn't mocking anyone. It's just a stupid throwaway line. An ill-conceived throwaway line. Probably a fireable throwaway line. But I'm thinking the fool didn't have any particular gay person in mind when he said it.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Included in the "letting people live" part of your slogan comes the part where you don't disparage others. And yes, using the word gay or fags in that manner falls in there.

Draft saved Draft deleted