1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPNU gay comment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jan 3, 2008.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My buddy had this on his myspace page...not that I am offended...but did the commentator get in trouble for this?
    In this PC world, I assume he did.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1717913

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I saw this last week and was surprised I didn't see it on here yet -- although I didn't read all of the college football threads. I'm sure he was at least reprimanded, if not fined and/or suspended. It's just irresponsible.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........that's so D_B, it's unreal...it was Brian Kinchen last season, and yes, he got in trouble.
    I think he got a week's vacation that became permanent.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Besides the fact that this is old, why are you not offended? Wouldn't it be equally as ridiculous if he said "That's pretty straight." What if, hypothetically, a white announcer saw something and said "That's pretty black." As a person who gives a rat's ass about others, why would you not be offended by those comments?

As for the PC world comment, I think treating all in a dignified manner supersedes your impression that everybody's out to get white men.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Diabeetus, everybody's out to get white, heterosexual men ;)

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Not me, I've made millions off my caucasianocity.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I'm not offended means...I'm not offended...meaning, some people would be offended.

For me, there is no line, I know how to take a joke...but when you are at the network level, the line is drawn for you.

Does that help?

Sheesh...

Markvid, thanks for letting me know it's old...I'd never seen it before and I was too lazy to see if the game was from this season or last.

8. sportschick

Meaning maybe you have a case of homophobia if you're not offended by somebody insulting gays for no reason.

Or at least it could appear that way to someone, like Diabeetus, who is gay.

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

That brings up a good point. At least, it does for me. Maybe not you.

You can SAY there isn't a line and that nothing offends you. I say the same thing. But in all honesty, isn't there a line for you? There has to be. I'm certain there's something out there I find offensive.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Would you know how to take a joke if you were constantly the butt of one? I don't think you really understand what it's like to be constantly equated with inferiority, wimpiness and all things sinful in the world. You may be ignorant of it, which I understand, but to let ignorance go on, without saying something to try to educate others is wrong.

Sheesh.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

This hasn't started well.

12. sportschick

Probably won't end well either.

Draft saved Draft deleted