1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's "Who's Now?" results

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Couldn't find the old thread and I'm too old to go diving into lockers ... er, to look through 76 pages to find it ... ANYWAYS ....

Did anyone else see the number of votes ESPN got for the Tiger v. LeBron battle for Who's Now? 370K. THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FUCKIN' THOUSAND. Hey ESPN, if that's not a wake up call that Who's Now is lame, you need to find new people and fire the dickweeds that say it was good.

370,000!??!?! Christ, I live in a city with a greater population of 350,000 (And it's market 117 on the TV scale). Everyone in this area votes, no one else in the world. They probably get that many visitors in an hour at espn.com.

Sorry for that rant. I was just amazed that they were so quick to admit they only got 370,000 votes.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

When you consider our paper considers it a good poll when we get 1,000 votes, I guess it's all relative.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Other than the fake baseball press conferences a year or so ago, Who's Now may be one of the most embarrassing things ever on SportsCenter...

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Oh God, I forgot about that craziness. Or maybe I thought it was just a bad dream.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

That's fair. Just seems like a website that is the homepage for ... a very conservative guess of ... a few million people should get more than 370K.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think the inevitable question that arises out of this, and I can only hope ESPN is there to answer it for us, is: Who's Next?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We Won't Get Fooled Again. ::) ::)

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Well, if LeBron isn't now, but he's the runner-up, wouldn't he be next?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seeing as how they've been running Who's Next editions of the magazine for a few years now, I'd say this was a spin-off of that, not vice-versa.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I saw a column last week, maybe USA Today, that said ESPN was very pleased with WN receiving a lot more traffic to the website and a leading topic of conversation on their boards and increasing their numbers in the treasured 12-17 demo, whatever that's worth.

What appalled me is that Tiger issued a statement (presumably written by the same PR hack who did his kid's birth announcement) stating how pleased he was with the "honor." ACK!

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Baba O'Reilly. Not Bill. Natch.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

ESPN might be pleased but I sure wouldn't want to be Herbstreit or Andrews - knowledgeable TV people who had to take part in that. I mean, when you have Kevin James and Jessica Biel as part of a panel, where's the credibility?

Draft saved Draft deleted